+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It can be hard not to worry but I remember being told that it's quite normal to be behind on some milestones while being advanced in others, and that it's only if the child is behind in all areas that you should start being concerned. eg it worries me that DS3 who is almost 2 can only say 5 words, but he is so advanced physically and can obviously understand what I am saying to him, that I believe he will catch up soon.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuddlymum For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    I don't think he realises that he can use his arms to support him..
    Thats EXACTLY what i think! DD will try pushing herself up with her chest /upper body rather than using her arms ..even when i position her arms under her to push,she'll spread them out and again tries pushing with her chest ! *sigh*! she did have perfect head control at 8weeks so paed said not to worry if she isnt pushing herself up at this stage as she is gaining some milestones on time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not anymore. Not since he was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay with autistic characteristics. I found the missing piece of the puzzle when we got this diagnosis. Everything made sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worry a lot less with my second child than I did my first. DS is 10 months and only just crawling and DD was the same. I remember being quite anxious with DD and did compare her to other babies.

The other mums may just be proud that their babies have hit the milestones rather than being competitive- it is exciting when your baby does something for the first time. The comparisons will continue for years to come I'm sure and there will be areas where your baby is advanced and others where she's a little behind.

Before you know it she'll be running off on you and you'll be wishing she was just having tummy time :-)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lock and Lu For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (27-12-2011),OS&N  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not at all.

When ds was born we were told he would not crawl, walk, talk and just basically lay there and do nothing it was very heart breaking to hear but here he is 2 yrs later running around his speech i feel may be a little be-hide but not so much that i am overly worried.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Confusedmum12 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by samar81 View Post
    But , as an example, the mums i know were comparing how their bubs (who are about 2,3wks younger than DD) have started to lift themselves up on their arms, but DD doesnt (at 3.5m) mainly because she HATES tummytime and reflux. but does that stop them from bragging and worrying me... nooo

DS who is 5 months next Tuesday didn't start to push himself up on his arms until he started to roll from his back to his front, he also hated tummy time and would last a max of about 1 min before I had to roll him over. Now he can roll he doesn't have a choice about the tummy time because the second I put him down he rolls straight onto his tummy lol. He learned to gradually push himself up from that day on and is now a pro at it. Its hard to not compare your bub to others even tho we have the best of intentions and it's harder still not to worry when our baby isnt doing the same things as the other babies. One of the other pp's is absolutely right.. as long as all is developmentally fine with your bub enjoy them while they are still a "baby" once that time is gone we can never get it back.

I don't understand why some parents (eg friends of ours) are so keen for their babies to grow up. I ran into them at the supermarket one day and they had their son sitting in the trolley seat... I dont think he was even 4 months old... and they were so proud of their big boy... even though daddy had to keep straightening him up!. Enjoy your LO she'll be on the go before you know it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to liddia For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm nope never thought about them, never bothered to look them up. Drives me mad when other mums try to 'compete'.. but then i quickly lose contact with those ladies lol. Every child develops at different rates at different skills. *shrugs*

Sent from my MB525 using Bubhub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. I don't even bother looking at what he's supposed to be doing at what age.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do! And I really hate that I do...

E.g. DD is about to turn 2, has a vocab of about 50 words. I guess that's within where she should be.

Then I go to Mums Group, and her little friends are asking their Mums for glasses of water, singing songs off the tv, telling me to close the door etc.

Its so silly and I know I'm being a dill but I keep on doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, I do look at the milestones, but I've never worried about them.

A PP mentioned that the other mums may be excited rather than competitive/ bragging. Do you think that could be the case? I've always been excited when DD does something new, and I will tell people, but I'd hate for them to think I was doing it in a comparing/ competitive way. I'm just as excited whenever anyone else's child does something new too! I just find it fascinating how they grow and develop.