+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you worry about your bub reaching age specific milestones??

Just a general question ...I try not to stress about DD reaching a list of milestones as she gets older. But a couple of mums I know tend to brag ALOT when their LOs reach them...and onviously try to compare it to DD (which bugs the heck out of me!!). So just wondering if you just keep an eye out for milestones or anxiously worry that your LO hasnt reached all of them ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is a very late bloomer. He is almost 20 months and not walking on his own yet. But I'm not worried. Every child develops at different rates.

I took DS to a pediatric physio when he was 11 months old and not crawling (didn't crawl till he was 14 months old) to check everything was ok and it was - he had all the moves, he was just happy rolling everywhere!

Having that reassurance from the physio that there wasn't a developmental delay put my mind at ease and now I just appreciate that I got to have a baby for so long while others were complaint how quickly their little ones were starting to crawl or walk

I think it would be remiss of a parent to not get their child checked if they were very behind in milestones, but I don't compare DS to other kids because he clearly isn't like them
    Last edited by Von Zipper; 20-12-2011 at 09:43.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying Leah!thats how i feel...if DD would ever be late at important milestones than i would definatly get it checked out.. But , as an example, the mums i know were comparing how their bubs (who are about 2,3wks younger than DD) have started to lift themselves up on their arms, but DD doesnt (at 3.5m) mainly because she HATES tummytime and reflux. but does that stop them from bragging and worrying me... nooo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I do, but I have older children who have some issues so I keep a eye on the younger one's for the milestones that relate to older children problems. Other that I don't stress.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I dont stress. Each baby develops differently. With my mothers group, sometimes it seems like the other babies are miles ahead of DS, but then he is always doing something different that they arent yet. So they all work on their owns things in their own time.
    I dont even know when they are "meant" to do certain things

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shan23 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by swizzlestick; 23-12-2011 at 20:30.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to worry a lot more than I do. My DS is pretty slow in all his milestones too, but seems to be on a general upward trend so I tend not to stress about it now. He sees a paed physio and OT, but other than that he's happily plodding along at his own pace.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Na it doesn't worry me. As a teenager I grew breasts quite late and I didn't get AF until I was 15 (the last of my peers). I figure it's kinda the same - everyone develops differently.

It would have to be fairly late in the developmental timeframe for me to get concerned.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try not to compare but it's hard not to sometimes. DS is nearly 15 months and is a bum shuffler (never crawled the conventional way and is yet to walk). I feel a bit bad for him at times when other kids his age (and younger) are having fun running and climbing on things and he can really only just sit there and watch. The thing is though, he's perfectly happy ... so long as he's happy and the paed tells me he's fine then I try not to worry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like that too a bit but my DS is the same age as your DD and he doesn't push up either. I don't think he realises that he can use his arms to support him. He hates tummy time too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (20-12-2011)