+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Screaming to sleep

Please don't judge.

I have tried everything with my 4.5month old

I was now settled on letting him cry - not in a room by him self mind you, but when I hear him wind up, I walk in, and sit at the end of the cot where he can see me if he looks for me, but I'm not in his face. We are now down to around five minutes from all out screaming to him settling himself down.
    I'm wondering how long (or if) he will eventually figure out that he can wake and resettle without the screaming in the middle?

Other ways I have tried

Boobing to sleep - worked until he started waking every 2hours

Jiggling to sleep - passes out immediately then wakes as soon as you try to put him down, even if you continue to jiggle as you lower

Shushing and patting without picking him up - just seems to make it worse, it is how I get him to sleep first off at night and seems to have picked it up well, but as a resettling technique not so much.

Added info - he has reflux (on meds) and has been teething since he was 2months old (2 already with another 4 hurting him now)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    While the teeth are hurting him, I would say do whatever works.

I cuddled my boy to sleep til he was 6.5mths. Then I started with the Save Our Sleep routine by T.i.zzie (totally going to get slammed by other BH ladies lol)

But I found it worked for us. He settled into it very easily, more easily than I thought.

If he wakes up in the night now I still give him a bottle back to sleep, he is almost 1.

And if he has problems going to sleep on the occasional night I just cuddle him to sleep or pat him.

Good luck.

Sent from my Atari 2600

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What reflux meds is he on? You might need to try something else as it sounds very similar to how DD was before we got her on the right track (ended up being caused by her protein intolerances, i had to stop bf and she's now on a prescription formula which has been a miracle cure for us - now weaned off the reflux meds and finally gaining weight!).

Is he otherwise alert and happy during his awake times?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sympathies to both of you!

Have you tried boobing or jiggling him untill he's in deep sleep and not just light sleep? (usually takes abour 20mins)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt a lot of pressure by my MCHN to get my DD off to sleep quickly and calmly as a little baby but looking back on things now I think she was just too young to try and put into a routine and expect her to drift off to sleep easily on her own when she was so small.

One day after trying to pat her off to sleep as she lay there screaming for the 3rd nap of the day I thought to myself 'this is ridiculous' so I picked her up. She calmed down right away and after a cuddle she fell asleep and I put her back down for her nap.

I did whatever worked for the first 6 months. I also breasted to sleep, for night time feed times only - not as a constant sleep aid though, and everyone told me that it was wrong to do that because she'll start to depend on it, but as she became more alert and dropped her feeds she stopped falling asleep on the boob by herself and it was no problem for us.

I'd say follow your own instincts and just do what feels right for you and your bub.

One thing I did do at 6 months was introduce a blankie that she got to hold and snuggle while breast feeding and for sleeping. We also played a lullaby that was on her baby monitor which lasted for about 15 mins. At 34 months she no longer has the lullaby, that stopped at about 12 months but she still has her blankie at bed time and it is a huge source of comfort to her.

I dunno if that helps, but try not to get too stressed about it. It's early days for you and bub, I'd do whatever works for now and work on
    establishing a routine by getting some sleep association tools like a blankie or soft music and slowly introducing those.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lotheryn View Post
    Please don't judge.

I have tried everything with my 4.5month old

I was now settled on letting him cry - not in a room by him self mind you, but when I hear him wind up, I walk in, and sit at the end of the cot where he can see me if he looks for me, but I'm not in his face. We are now down to around five minutes from all out screaming to him settling himself down.
    I'm wondering how long (or if) he will eventually figure out that he can wake and resettle without the screaming in the middle?

Other ways I have tried

Boobing to sleep - worked until he started waking every 2hours

Jiggling to sleep - passes out immediately then wakes as soon as you try to put him down, even if you continue to jiggle as you lower

Shushing and patting without picking him up - just seems to make it worse, it is how I get him to sleep first off at night and seems to have picked it up well, but as a resettling technique not so much.

Added info - he has reflux (on meds) and has been teething since he was 2months old (2 already with another 4 hurting him now)
    Subscribing- I could have written this post myself.