+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is this a normal phase? *semi-vent*

It's normal, isn't it, for babies' sleep to get worse around the one year mark? Will it get better on it's own?
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 19-12-2011 at 21:49.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi darling :-(

Yes , it's defeating I know . ESPECIALLY when they improve and then regress . I can't comment on that part , my DS never improved and was still feeding all night at 1 year , he only improved around 17 months .

But I can comment on the day naps. I'm telling you , like clockwork , my days were set out , he had fallen into a predictable routine . 2 naps blah blah . About a month off having dd ( so he was 13 months ) it all turned to crap . I was in tears sometimes , pushing that pram around for an hour sometimes for the first nap , and again for the second nap that sometimes wouldn't even happen .

Anyway I ummed and aahed for ages if he was ready for one nap etc , but the battle for two naps was just ridiculous so one day I just stopped .

Instead of him having he's morning nap at about 10 I pushed it out as long as I possibly could till around 11-11:30 , whatever I thought he could handle. He was a breeze to get down for that first nap as he was just so tired . I won't lie . It was hard the first week or two as he wasn't sleeping long and then had to last the day with no more naps till bedtime . Everyone was adamant he would begin sleeping longer and that one nap would become a bigger one and they were right , he went from sleeping 40-60 minutes initially to 2-3 hours . In those initial few weeks he wasn't sleeping long I would just get him into bed earlier and if you really feel he needs the second nap let him have a cat nap . You'll be and feel a mess for abit but then it will fall into place . Only do this if you think he is ready for one nap , it could be a phase , I don't know . And no two babies are the same as we know , it's such trial and error with whey individual child !

I will say this though , once they begin crawling walking etc I find that they literally have to be ready to drop, just spent and exhausted before they'll nap or go to bed . They just become so much more aware and active that they realise " hey , who wants to go to bed when I can be up playing " little rascals .

It changes all the time, as you know I've got my own bedtime dramas here and DS went from a slight bit of routine to being all over the place again !

Also , our kids arent too far apart and I'm noticing that dd could probaly be on one nap very soon too based on how long she can keep be up for , so perhaps your DS is ready ?

Sorry to ramble, and hugs, I feel
    your pain . Love kitty xo

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -21 months 
    DD - 7 months 
    Last edited by heeeeerekittykitty; 19-12-2011 at 21:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi majestic did half your OP disappear or am I rambling on about crap that I read in another thread ( which knowing me its probaly the latter !!??)

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -21 months 
    DD - 7 months 

Thanks
    Reviews
    totally normal! My boy just went through a super fussy, super clingy phase and where he would wake up every 1.5 hours at night! Ahhhh!! Lol. Honestly, they have their phases, spurts, stages, wonder weeks - whatever you wanna call it. Don't get yourself too down - just respond to his needs as best you can, he obviously needs a bit more Mummy comfort for some reason (or could he be teething?) He will be back to his usual self soon enough you're doing a great job I know how hard it can be sometimes! Except my little booby monster feeds multiple times every night, and as much as it drives me crazy I still know he is only little and I want to provide him with what he needs plus it's really healthy too and at least I know it's a guaranteed resettle when he wakes! I have heard of some that have night weaned then later regretted it so be sure, and ride it out as much as you can before you make that decision, after all theres no comfort like Mummy, and then in future when he does wake, you'll have to find other ways to resettle, cos let's face it, you'll probably have your off weeks for a few years yet good luck and I hope it all settles down again for you soon!

Sent from my iPhone, using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post
    Hi majestic did half your OP disappear or am I rambling on about crap that I read in another thread ( which knowing me its probaly the latter !!??)

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -21 months 
    DD - 7 months 
    Nah there was more to the OP unless we are both super crazy LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by proud-mum View Post
    Nah there was more to the OP unless we are both super crazy LOL

Oh good ! I thought omg how embarrassing , I'm crapping on and MH will probaly think WHAT ARE YIU ON ABOUT !!??

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -21 months 
    DD - 7 months 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no . I take it you are having a crappy time at the moment

DS got really bad around the 10-11 month mark, I felt like all the work I had done in the months before was for nothing, because he was worse then ever, I was up 6 times a night for a while there!

He does seem to be getting better again now without me doing much differently. He still wakes for a feed twice on average per night but goes straight back to
    sleep without too much fuss, he is also napping quite well. So hopefully it is just a phase with you guys and he will improve again soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes, kitty I did delete most of my OP as it was just a self-indulgent WHINGE. I was just feeling pretty crappy after DS had been up and down - falling asleep then up 10 minutes later - for 2 hours straight. After a crappy day and previous night sleep-wise.

Anyway, I'm feeling much better today and I'm sure it's just a phase. I'll just ride it out.

Thanks again everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey MH, from memory your DS is a bit younger than my DD who has just turned one. All my friends who use a gentle parenting approach told me that 8-12 months is the worst, then they tend to improve significantly around 12 months and again around 15 months and 18 months. That info has kept me going through the last few months and now at 12 months she's sleeping so much better! She still wakes at least once but it's unbelievable how deeply she sleeps now at night and in the ergo or pram. Now I'm looking forward to 15 months! Of course every bub is different but hope things improve for you soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes, kitty I did delete most of my OP as it was just a self-indulgent WHINGE.
    e
    nothing wrong with having a whinge!!! That's what we're here for

I live in hope that wrena is right about this one. DS woke ONCE last night, had a quick feed and straight back to bed! Unbelievable..... So hopefully it's just around the corner for you MH