+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Separation of abdominal wall

I've just been to see my GP about something unrelated to my pregnancy, but he checked baby size and heartbeat while I was there. I'm seeing an OB this pregnancy so he didn't know how far along I was and when he asked I told him 25 weeks and he immediatey said ' Really, you look about 30 weeks!' Now I do feel much bigger this time around and I had been having a lot of 'My look at the size of you' comments, but now I know it's not just in my mind. After measuring me he said that it was ok I looked bigger as I have diastasis which is separation of the abdominal wall from 1st time around. I remember the midwife coming to visit me after I had DD and her giving me an elastic stocking to wear until the muscles knitted together, but then seeing another midwife and she told me not to bother (so I didn't). I basically was in no state of mind to wonder which one was right. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't wear it for longer. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, i have.
    I got a small separation after my first child and was told to not worry, it would heal on it's own. Terrible advice as it didn't heal on it's own and when i fell pregnant with my second child it worsened.
    I wore the support garment religiously after the birth of my second and started physio exercises to bring the muscle together. Unfortunately for me the damage was not able to be fixed this way and i now require surgery to sew the muscle back together
    The physio told me wearing the support garment will not fix the split - you need to do the exercises as well - so don't kick yourself.
    I would suggest seeing a physio after the birth and hopefully you can fix it with exercise.
    Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Bellaleggos  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What exercises were you given? I have about a 3 cm separation but the physio didn't give me any exercises I was just told not to do any ab related exercises for about 3 months.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hipney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Basically what mothersmilk said. Everyone seemed to say after my first that because I was young, otherwise slim and healthy and active that I would "bounce back".. Like you I was very big in my pregnancy too at the end. In the beginning I was TINY but once the separation worsened I was huge.. I had terrible advice aftEr my first and even did crunches etc which worsened it. I started doing pilates before I got pregnant the second time which was really helping. So I have had a second child now and also require surgery eventually.. I have worn a good strong support belt since birth, and done all the gentle exercises religiously which has made a very small improvement. The exercisea are deep breathing.. pelvic tilts, activating the pelvic floor muscles and lifting them whilst lowering the abdominal muscles. They are really something you need to see a physio or pilates instructor for I feel

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Swimming is also a safe and effective core exercise for people with muscle weakness. But don't do breast stroke if you have pelvic instability

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kri5tina View Post
    What exercises were you given? I have about a 3 cm separation but the physio didn't give me any exercises I was just told not to do any ab related exercises for about 3 months.
    See a different physio maybe? You should say away from certain exercises (like sit ups) but there are safe, gentle exercises you can start right away - i started them when i was still in hospital after the birth. Best to get a professional to show you how and watch you try them to ensure you are doing them correctly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    God it's more serious than I thought then. So would this explain the really uncomfortable feeling I get at the top of my bump under my boobs? I was blaming bub for having his feet stuck in my rib cage but it's pretty much every night.... I'll speak to my OB when I next see her to see what she has to say.