+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's one of those things.

My 4 yr old and my 5 yr old are very close in age and they are best friends, everyone comments on their very close entwined relationship and outsiders usually presume them to be twins. I have concerns actually for next year as one will start school and one won't and they have never been separated. I have older children and as much as they love their little sisters, they certainly don't have this close relationship with either of them. Maybe it will change as they get older, who knows?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I guess it depends on the family then - personally I don't understand siblings not liking each other as children. Isn't that something that parents need to be on top of - fostering respect, caring and love of each other?
    My sister and I are like chalk and cheese, our personalities are so insanely different that we have a hope in hell of being super close.

It in no way is a reflection of the way my parents parented us. They're awesome parents and my sis and I are who we are ...

*** end of transmission ***

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

Bank  (19-12-2011),SassyMummy  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I guess it's just that there's probably more of a chance...being interested in similar things etc. If their personalities blend well together then it makes sense. DD1 and DD2 play really well together most of the time and I hope this continues..there's 21 months between them.

I will say this....as the parent I find it much easier parenting the two that are close in age...be it DD1 and DD2, or DD2 and DS. There's just under 4 years between DD1 and DS and the age difference there makes it hard because, at 6 and 2, they both have very different needs. I can easily plan a day with DD1 and DD2, or with DD2 and DS (26 months between them two) and have it day tailored to them both but for DD1 and DS it's far more challenging because the things DD1 enjoys DS simply isn't capable of (eg. ice skating, or going to watch a movie, even a play centre they're in different areas). So give me the closeness in age any day!! A bit harder at the newborn stage but so much easier after that!

ETA - My sister and I are chalk and cheese and we're very close now but we found it hard living under the same roof...had nothing to do with the way my parents raised us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My brother is 18 months younger than me.

For the most part, he's a jerk and I hate him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My sister and I are 6 years apart, growing up because of the big age difference we really didn't do anything together ( picture a 14 year old trying to escape her snooping/annoying 8 year old little sister!) but when we hit our 20,s we became very close , and still are , I suppose as pp have said it would be easier having them closer in age when younger so they could play together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's like any relationship... You click with some
    People and others you don't....

I am 13 months younger than my sister and we fought lots growing up but now are the very best of friends...

My girls are 14 months apart by pure chance and hopefully they are good friends too!! Who knows though !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I think it's one of those things.

My 4 yr old and my 5 yr old are very close in age and they are best friends, everyone comments on their very close entwined relationship and outsiders usually presume them to be twins. I have concerns actually for next year as one will start school and one won't and they have never been separated. I have older children and as much as they love their little sisters, they certainly don't have this close relationship with either of them. Maybe it will change as they get older, who knows?
    I have the same concern.. my 3 &2 year olds are so close, I think my 2yo will be devastated when 3yo goes off to school (mind you i have a 12 mth old too, hopefully she'll provide company by then). I pity their boyfriends/girlfriends tbh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think maybe its a "hope" thing. I am an only child so I dont know what its like to have a sibling (I have step siblings though, but its a bit different). I "hope" my 2 girls will grow up to be really good friends.

My hubby and his brother are 15 months apart and whilst they dont dislike each other, they would be lucky to talk 4 times a year (the live on opposite sides of the country). I find it really sad and I dont want my girls to have that sort of relationship when they grow up.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suppose because you tend to do things around the same age. I'm incredibly close with my sister who is two years younger, and I barely have anything to do with my older sister. My younger sister and I went to primary school at the same time, whereas my older sister was already in high school. We played with toys in the same age bracket, whereas my older sister was off at parties and whatnot. We used to play games together with other kids in the street, whereas my older sister was out shopping with her girlfriends (or sleeping lol).

I think it also depends on personality though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's also personalities.. Being close in age doesn't mean that you'll be 'great' friends but being close in age would help as you are onto the same sorts of things ... My bro and I are 5 yrs apart have nothing in common and arnt close at all

Me and He = DD 18 months and baby belly (May2012)