+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you do with your kids toys?

Hi, just looking for some general ideas on what others parents do with all their kids toys?

How do you store them? How do you convince people that you don't need anymore?
    I have four kids in a smallish 3 bedroom house and they get massive presents from their grandparents each birthday/Christmas - I'm talking wooden kitchens, prams (we have 4 ) Lego (3 buckets) baby portacots, you name it, we've got it in multiples. I'm not complaining about the generosity, but am at my wits end with what to do. How do I nicely suggest that maybe they don't need anymore stuff, and a trip to the zoo/aquarium/movie will be just as nice?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just tell then exactly that. You have enough "stuff" and would love an "experience" voucher for the kids!! I'm not scared to tell people this as I don't want my house filled with unwanted stuff and items I dont have room for....
    X

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chicken and eggs mum For This Useful Post:

LizR4  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried this and got "ok, but we'll just get them something small" , so got money and a present. ATM I'm trying to teach them to respect things so very very frustrating as they see toys as easily replaced. Have given bags and bags to the opshop though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We focused one year on books and practical things. My mum gave DS swimming lessons for one term and mil bought him new books or clothes. It got hard and I really had to repeat the conversation especially with mil quite a few times. Its worn off a bit now but he'd used his toys to death so we donated them to Salvo's or the childcare centre when he got new ones. He had to give away 3 old toys for every new one and throw out the broken ones.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

LizR4  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some reason they don't think books are presents? I think another talk about it is necessary. I love the swimming lesson idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just suggest what you want - an outing, as you no longer have enough room to store all the toys the kids have been given.

It might be time to cull though - there's no need for 4 prams unless 4 prams are being used on a daily basis, all at the same time. Eliminate some of the toys that don't get played with, or put them away (never throw out Lego though, that's just crazy!) for the future.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

LizR4  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took your advice, and squashed one of the prams - the wheel was almost off, and gave another for outside use only, so the kids are using it as a wheelbarrow.
    Would love to cull more but most have been presents given to them this year!
    Am definitely going to suggest (tell) them outing presents are in! They can even take them lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sell the stuff you dont need on gumtree and use the money to take the kids out, if ppl wont listen then you shouldnt have to suffer. I had to get tough and tell ppl no more stuff I didnt need and went thru the list of all the dolls and overflowing bins of toys we have and the problems caused by no where to put it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah, totally just sell them.

Even when DD has been given things recently, if they just take up space, I don't bother keeping them. If they're good enough to sell, they get sold.