+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Exclamation Which car fits an adult and two carseats in back?

My mum and stepdad are coming over from NZ when bub arrives, and I'll need to hire a bigger car for when they're here.
    We have a barina and have just had the capsule fitted - between that and DD's booster seat there's about 3 inches of space left in the back.

I need a car that will fit an adult in between the 2 carseats.
    I thought I'd ask here rather than the car rental place as I'm sure they'll say we need a people mover or something else super expensive.

Thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toyota corollas or camrys are pretty roomy and most hire places have them ,or just take your seats down to the hire place and check them out for yourself as it is hard to say without knowing which brand of seats you have. You would prob want to have the adult to one side aswell as it is too squeezy in most cars for them to try to get inbetween the car seats.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 19-12-2011 at 12:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a commodore and it fits two car seats and adult pretty comfortably.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a Holden Astra and recently needed to drive with an extra passenger in the back, I had a S&S maxirider, S&S meridian (rear facing) and one adult (she's roughly a size 10) It was a bit tight but we managed
    So depending on the size of the adult I'd say all you'll need is a commodore or falcon family car

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got a new skinnier booster, it's an infa something or other from big w.. about the same width as a regular size adult anyway.
    The capsule is a baby love snap n go.. it's wider than the booster.

I won't be able to try them out in a car from the hire place we plan on using, as they're flying into sydney and will be getting the car from there and driving themseles up here to the central coast (will be a bit hard for me to pick them up post c/s), but I guess I could see if any of the local places will oblige.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was busy having my rant while most of you were posting!

So it seems most sedans will be ok? (I know - our car is pathetic!)
    Wasn't sure as a friend has a subara liberty which is quite a bit bigger than my car, but still won't fit anything but the 2 seats in the back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to own a ford falcon and like PP said if you put the car seats next to each other, and the adult to the side, it was an easy fit. We have the same slim booster you described.

My friend has a commodore station wagon and her backseat is so much roomier than my ford sedan was. Something to do with the seat being flatter, so the seats fit better.

You may also want to check that there is two anchor points and that you have tools to move them if neccesary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your looking for economy then a 6cyl is prob not the best fuel wise and the hire fee is usually a bit more. You can view the range of cars available online on most of the sites or just try ringing them as they do offer car seat hire at some places and might be able to tell you which cars fit car seats. If it is a station wagon or hatch then you might need seat belt extenders as the anchor point is further away. Alot of them seem to have those hyundai sedans which come in 4cyl or a holden cruze which is economical.I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    If your looking for economy then a 6cyl is prob not the best fuel wise and the hire fee is usually a bit more. You can view the range of cars available online on most of the sites or just try ringing them as they do offer car seat hire at some places and might be able to tell you which cars fit car seats. If it is a station wagon or hatch then you might need seat belt extenders as the anchor point is further away. Alot of them seem to have those hyundai sedans which come in 4cyl or a holden cruze which is economical.I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.
    We already have an extender for the capsule as silly holden put the anchor points at the BACK of the boot (hatchback), and it doesn't reach .
    I don't think a Cruz will work, I've had to drive those a couple of times when I've had mine in for repairs and DD's booster JUST fits into the groove, and the base of this capsule is alot wider than the booster.
    I've looked around on alot of the sites, just hard to know which will actually suit us. Not too fussed about the price really, as I'm going halves with my mum, but we don't want to pay double to hire something we don't actually need iykwim.

I emailed one place who replied saying we'd need to get a 5 seater (aren't they all?!), or a people mover..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no way youll fit it all in a holden cruze, my parents have one and have had 2 seats in the back with my girls no way there's room for an extra person even a child.

we just sold our holden commodore and easily fitted 2 seats and a passenger in it. always easier to have the seats next to each other and the spare seat behind driver