+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I had my time over I would buy a cot only and for the first few months (or however long) I would take one side off and side car it to the bed. Then when ready to move into own room, put the side back on and voila.

We had a bassinette then a cot but I would have preferred her right next to me in a side car (you still have to physically get up to get them out of bassinette). Plus she was a boof and grew out of the bassinette at about 4 or 5 months. In terms of value for money the side car cot would have been better.

We actually ended up buying a cheaper ikea gulliver cot later on as sleeping has not been her strong point, and I can't sleep with her in the bed. While she mostly sleeps in her cot in her room now, we still use the ikea side car cot for those early wake ups and also on v hot nights when we all sleep in our room with the air con on

That's what I'd do if there was ever a next time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a bassinette up next to the bed when they were tiny then co-slept until they went into single bed in own room (16/17 months). I did have the cot in our room for DS2 after he outgrew the bassinette and would put him in there when asleep for a while.

I'm not having any more babies but if I did, I would try to work out a way to side-car as described above (couldn't do it with our room set up as is, but might have been able to move furniture or something!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh, decisions decisions! I don't think a full cot would fit in our room, and if it did it would be pretty squishy. I know you're meant to have them sleeping in your room when they're first born, but has anyone put them straight in their own room?

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD went straight into her cot when we came home. She was in our room until around 10 months old, when she started being disturbed by DP's nightshift routine. We were in a two story place, so had the monitor in the bedroom, with the speaker set up downstairs.
    It was great having her in our room, I didn't have to get out of bed to check if she was still alive, and we didn't have to transition from bassinet to the cot when she got bigger . We were going to have DD in her own room from day dot, but everyone else at the healthy parenting class I did looked at me like I had three heads or something. I'm glad we changed our minds and had her in with us.
    The newbie will be in his cot in our room until it stops working for us again, then into his own room .

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, Better Baby Deals are in Bunbury, and have an online store. They ship free if you spend over $100 I think it was. They've got excellent customer service, and stuff I've ordered is usually here before the week is out!
    There's not too much choice in the land of red dirt

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got given a bassinet and used it for about 2 months before moving our daughter to a cot. She was pretty big and she would thrash around a lot, and when her arms hit the side of the bassinet it would wake her.

But every kid is different! I did love having her in our room next to the bed I'll probably get another bassinet this time even if it's just for a short while, simply because we can have it so close to our bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As a Mumma who put my baby into his basinet and 5 minutes later just happened to glance at him as I climbed into bed myself at midnight and noticed he was turning blue, I'm hugely bias, but I would personally highly recommend room sharing for at least the first couple of months. Just the first 3-6 months being the most dangerous time for SIDS.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 19-12-2011 at 16:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, DD went straight into her own room from birth. I wanted to make sure everyone got a good sleep without distractions. I could get up and feed and not disturb hubby. Hubby and i could float around the house and not disturb bub while she was fast asleep in her room.
    I should also mention that if you are concerned about not being able to see your newborn in bed, invest in a baby monitor with a camera. One of my friends did this with her unwell newborn and she is very greatful for it as everyone got sleep and at the same time, she could see her baby throughout the night without disturbing anyone.
    Last edited by jazzybaby; 20-12-2011 at 09:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD1 went straight in to her room, her cot from when we got home. DD2 and DS we co-slept. I've never had a use for a bassinet and wouldn't buy one if we were having more children. I just don't see the need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used a basinette previously with my others but if I was to have another baby I would prob just put them straight into the cot. I did love that the basinette could be transferred between rooms and also meant the babies could sleep in our room