+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Difficult feeder

Just wanting some (any!) support from others who are or may have been in a similar situation. We haveca darling 3 month old who is a difficult feeder (she has so farcout-done her 3 yr old brother who was tricky but certainly not like this! She is bottle fed EBM ( never attached) but has never finished a bottle, pushes her it out with her tongue after 20-50 mls is distracted, moves her head arounds, smiles, kicks about and eventually fussed because she wants the bottle out! We have looked into everything from silent reflux to allergies to wind and she she's a pediatrician to monitor her weight. She is a very slow gainer but otherwise healthy and happy. In desperation this morning I called maternal and child health line and nurse said that some babies are just like this and best not to force bottle, try introducing solids early and just battle on. Paediatrician also agreed with early solids and that she will most likely be a difficult feeder and small her whole life. I am feeling exhausted from worry and trying hard to get through each day. Just touching base with any mums who have been through similar and have made it through with healthy and happy toddlers. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS has been a cr@ppy feeder since birth. We bottle feed and struggle with every feed - he's now 10 months. My DS has silent reflux so lots of the issues are associated with his initial pain due to that.

He's also got an incoordinated suck, so we've seen a speech pathologist who gave us some exercises to do with him. It didn't fix things, but definitely made them a lot better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain!

My DS is 7weeks old and has recently become a fussy eater! I havent had it checked out like you have yet but am close to it, first I thought I would check here for some tips.

I am using the Avent bottles on number 2 teats as at one week old he was falling alseep only after 10mls, then would wake about 15mins later for more... drove me insane! That was every 2hours.

He has now progressed to 70-130mls every fours hours but has for some reason dropped the last feed at night (10pm) WRONG FEED TO DROP SON!!! LOL
    However, after about 20-30mls he pushes it out and we burp him. Try give him more and he fusses, pushes away the bottle, plays with it, anything BUT drink it. Eventaully he will drink it but it is a struggle to get him to 100mls most feeds.

After reading Lulu56's post I am going to try the Tommee Tippee bottles and see how that goes. I have a feeling it is the bottle as we have already changed the formula. But his bowel motions still arent the best so thinking of changing again...

I hope that something helps us both as it is so hard to deal with. Other pressures such as siblings and friends with 'helpful' suggestions make it so much harder.

If I have success with the bottle I will let you know! If you find another solution please share.

Goodluck!

SalsaMumma- what do you mean by uncoordinated suck? My DS seems to not be able to coordinate his breathing with his sucking. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by KandBs Mumma; 03-01-2012 at 20:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So today I tried the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottle.

My son took to it straight away and drank more than he has before! No spilling no spewing no nothing! It was great!

So glad I found this post

Hope your having some luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess14 View Post
    So today I tried the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottle.

My son took to it straight away and drank more than he has before! No spilling no spewing no nothing! It was great!

So glad I found this post

Hope your having some luck
    Which teats are you using? My DD is 8 weeks old and has been fussy during feeds for the past couple of weeks. I've been using TT since week 2 and was pretty happy with her feeding until recently. She's generally having 7-8 feeds per day and I make up 120mls per feed. Recently she'll either be super squirmy and milk goes everywhere or too tired to finish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had this issue, unfortunatley it is just the way some babies are. Fuss pots!

Sochie is the bottle letting milk out fast enough? My DD fusses like no tomorrow if the milk is too hard to get out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only one having troubles getting bubba to drink.

DS is 6 months 1 week old and has been on the bottle since about 2 weeks old. He was small at birth and is slow to put on weight (still following his own curve on the charts). Since about 8 weeks old (or was it 12? I don't remember now!) we have had issues getting him to drink his bottle. It seems to come and go in spurts... he will drink happily for some time (even now, not huge amounts - a 200ml bottle is a big drink for him), then have a bad few days or a bad week, where he will only take a small amount and then fight us over not wanting any more. He spits it out, tosses his head, arches back, screams and cries... The first time it happened we took him to an after hours GP who told us to take him to the hospital just in case. The hospital prescribed him with reflux medication even though he wasn't showing any of the main symptoms (like vomiting), as it's a safe drug to use regardless. He has been on the medication up till now, we are lowering the dosage to wean him off it as our regular GP has said he doesn't think that's the issue any more.

This week though he has been fighting the bottle again. I don't know what to do. I don't know if it's because he was feeling out of sorts after his vaccinations on Monday, or if it's because his body is dependant on the reflux medication, or if it's because he's just having one of those weeks where he's not interested in his milk.

We also use Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature, he has been on the number 3 teats (fast flow) for around a month now.

He has had cereal since 4 months old, slowly expanding repertoire of fruit and veggies. The GP said to still try and get DS to drink as much milk as we can, but that if DS is happy with his solids (which he is! He eats so much and we can't shovel it in fast enough!) then we will be OK.

Even though the GP is very relaxed, I still stress so much about whether or not DS is getting enough to drink, not only so he can grow but so that he stays hydrated! He's still learning how to use his sippy cup at mealtimes so he doesn't get a lot of water, either, though I'm sure his fruits and some of the veggies give him a bit of fluid?

Oops, I've written a novel. I'm just so relieved to see that there are other parents having the same troubles: that there's nothing wrong with baby, they just don't seem interested in drinking their milk.