+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default It's all because of Santa!

Well, it's that jolly time of year again and already I find myself "using" the Christmas season as a parenting tool. This has created a moral dilemma in my head. What I need is the voices of reason and wisdom from my fellow bub hubbers before I do or say something that may scar my precious baby for life - or at least a part of it.

My three year old still has a dummy. I have tried several times over the last few months to have him willingly give it up. I try appealing to his sense of good will and concern for others - you know, "there's a little baby at the hospital who really needs a dummy so he doesn't cry, wouldn't you like to give him yours?" I guess not. How about his sense of self? "Your dummy gets really dirty sometimes and mummy doesn't want you to get sick so how about we throw it out now?" Strike two. Well, let's try rampant, outright bribery then. "You can go to McDonald's and have cookies and ice cream if you... just... give... me ....that ...... ($$#%^^%, under my breath)...dummy..pleeeeeease???" Nope, that didn't work either.

But now it's Christmas....

Santa has power above all other humans. He is the creator and deliverer of fabulous presents. He travels the planet in a sleigh with reindeer, and he's always happy, generous and has that elusive factor. He eats cookies and drinks milk and although I bet he feels like knocking back a few bourbons after a night of deliveries, he stays completely cheery and positive all the time! How can I compete with that??

To prove my point, I tell my little boy that Santa is looking for dummies to give to little babies for Christmas. In exchange for such a sacrifice, he will receive from Santa awesome presents, candy (thanks U.S TV shows) and chocolates. Well.... without hardly a second thought the dummy is handed over quite willingly and the suggestion made that it should be wrapped up and put under the tree, neatly addressed to Santa. So for two days now, the dummy has remained under the tree and the little guy is eagerly awaiting delivery of the promised toys etc.

So, my issue now is the collossal lie that I've now told my 3 year old, his notice of Santa has gone from him being a really "cool guy" to the most insanely awesome, super dooper dude ever!!! and I can't help but feel a little guilty for the deception..

I would be interested to know what other mums tell their children. I am hoping that the natural way that life proceeds will fix the problem for me and when he starts school some other child will blurt out the truth, they'll debate the issue between friends for some time and then come to the conclusion that the whole Santa thing is a load of rubbish. Do I need to worry now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha ha I think you are awesome!
    If this would work for my almost two year old I would do it in a heartbeat! Hes a bit too young to understand though!

If your DS is not going into distress without his dummy, I reckon you are home and hosed!!! Well done!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themissingpiece For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (19-12-2011),jaesmummy  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by themissingpiece View Post
    Ha ha I think you are awesome!
    If this would work for my almost two year old I would do it in a heartbeat! Hes a bit too young to understand though!

If your DS is not going into distress without his dummy, I reckon you are home and hosed!!! Well done!
    I'm with you there!

My DS steals DDs dummy... Grr!
    Wish I could use this... Lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Dont stress over it. I took my 4yr old to pick up rest of christmas stuff on the weekend which was his. I told him it was for a little boy who liked exactly the same stuff. Anyway coop now wants luke to come visit us haha. I have got around that by saying luke lives very very far away.

I want to keep the magic of santa for him as he believes so much it would break his little heart for now.
    I have also told him santa is going to take his stroller as he doesnt want to get rid of it even though we never use it anymore but he thinks we will.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol, good on you for being inventive!

Using the Santa line is no different to telling them that there are babies in hospitals who need their dummy, so don't sweat it. It's all much of a muchness.

Fingers crossed it works for you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awesome read.

Me? I'm good with whatever works. Thankfully, the bribery worked awesomely here. Only problem we encounted was DS wanted the Dora pink princess castle and I wanted the Wiggle Jeff doll. We got both in the end. We were very happy- him with his Dora castle and me with my Jeff doll.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has been put on santa's 'naughty list'. (Google portablenorthpole )
    I feel terrible about it but she hasn't been behaving very well at all lately!
    Anyway, I showed her the email from santa on Saturday and since then she has been perfect because she desperately wants to get back on the 'good list'.
    This parenting gig is hard work, you've gotta do what gets you through!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd will be having the same technique used we've been prepping her for a couple of months now that santa will be taking her dummy and giving her lots of cool presents in return...all good in theroy, let's see how she actually goes lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that is a awesome idea! Dont stress over it. It worked and thats the main thing. Santa is used for everything currently in my house for my soon to be 3yr old its "santa is watching you!", " thats it im calling santa and telling him you are being naughty" (<<works a treat) or "keep going and ill cancel your birthday!" <<her bday is 2days before xmas, poor kid! Ive also use if you keep being loud you will scare away all the fairies in the garden. It all works nicely to keep her in line. So using santa to remove a dummy is harmless and he will eventually forget anyways. Good on you for being a clever patient mummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha I love that and think it's so cute that he's got it wrapped up under the tree!!!

Just don't forget to move it over night on Sunday hehe