+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Royal Women's or Mercy Hospital Heidelberg

Hi all, just looking for some advice on hospitals in Melbourne. This is my first pregnancy and was very unexpected. I always thought I would go private when the time came but without private health we are now going public.

My GP has said my two options are the Women's or Mercy in Heidelberg. I'm only 11 weeks but already starting to get anxious about giving birth and reading some horror stories about maternity hospitals isn't helping.

I'm low risk and am looking at shared care but still need to decide about the hospital. Would love to hear from anyone who has experiences in either of these hospitals. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've not used Royal Women's but I'm using them for my first in July as I've heard good things about them from friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first baby at the Royal Women's in 2007 (before they'd moved to the new building) and my experience was really positive. The staff were great and although they were busy, I was supported with breast feeding and wasn't forced to leave before I was ready (I stayed for 3 days).

It was a bit noisy at night as there were 4 to a room, but it didn't really bother me too much as my baby was waking me up all night anyway. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the new RWH building may have double rooms now instead of 4 per room (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I did shared care too and only had to go to the hospital a couple of times during my pregnancy. I also attended the ante-natal classes at the hospital, where they gave us a tour of the maternity ward, which helped me feel comfortable about going there for the birth.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 19-12-2011 at 08:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneManda View Post
    Hi all, just looking for some advice on hospitals in Melbourne. This is my first pregnancy and was very unexpected. I always thought I would go private when the time came but without private health we are now going public.

My GP has said my two options are the Women's or Mercy in Heidelberg. I'm only 11 weeks but already starting to get anxious about giving birth and reading some horror stories about maternity hospitals isn't helping.

I'm low risk and am looking at shared care but still need to decide about the hospital. Would love to hear from anyone who has experiences in either of these hospitals. Thanks
    Hi! We've just moved to Melbourne (I grew up here but lived in Brisbane for the last 7 years) and we've unexpectedly fallen pregnant with no.2. I'm in a similar boat to you researching hospitals. We are debating whether to go public or private still though. I live out west and my 'local' hospital would be sunshine hospital which I've heard baaaaad things about so really want to fudge my address or something so I get to be in a hopefully better hospital. I'm due in August 2012.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i don't have kids but my sister is a middy and has worked at both. i don't know much about it, but i do know that both hospitals are high level hospitals - I don't know what the grading as. But yeh they are both the highest level a hospital can be meaning they are able to serve high needs/high care/emergency care etc. (they can have you in theatre and being operated on in 3min if there is an emergecny)

from what i have heard the royal prob has more high risk/complicated pregnancies and are quite skilled. with this though, I have been told that the hospital is white medically focused approach to birth. As far as I know the birthing centre has been closed there?

mercy while still high level - probably see less complicated births (as I said high risk from all over vic are directed to royal).

i have heard horror stories and great stories from both hospitals. good and bad middies at both.

i live in rural vic, but if/when i get pregnant I plan on moving into my sister and birthing at mercy. (could go to either from her place)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Look into the birth centre at the Mercy. I had DS there, it was amazing. I have many friends birth at the birthing suites (normal mercy) and love it.

The birth centre however meant NO waiting time for appointments. As it's much smaller. I know of women waiting for hours at both the birth suites and the royal womens.

The birth centre meant we got our own huge room, with double bed, and dh could stay the whole time. Seriously it was fantastic.

I have known two people to have their first at the royal womens and then have subsequent babies at the Mercy.

Go and have a look around both, see which one you like the feel of better

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard.Manny.Fran For This Useful Post:

Bellie  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Melbourne Manda

I thought I would reply and let you know my experience. I was at Mercy with my daughter Jade three years ago. I developed serious pre-eclampsia at 38 weeks and I cannot fault their care for myself and my baby. I didn't find you waited much longer than I did at the obstetrician (was private for my first daughter) the midwifes were great and listened to any concerns I had (early on there weren't any as I'm a nurse so has found my pregnancies pretty easy knowing a lot of the physical changes etc )

so for what its worth I'd give them the thumbs up definitely! We are trying for our third next year and I know nothing of the hospitals where we now live (wish I could go Mercy again!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also thought I would add- try relax about the impending birth of your bubba Do some positive reading (try juju sundins- birth skills) and arm yourself with knowledge. Read some birth stories and don't focus on all the horrible horror stories.

Good luck x

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had emergency Caesars at both mercy and rwh. The birth centre at mercy is awesome but at 11 weeks you're probably already too late to book in, but it's worth an ask. But the mercy general maternity wards were, for me, overcrowded, understaffed, and I really didn't rate my post natal care. Rwh was also busy, but I had the same midwife all the way through pregnancy, and my recovery and post natal care was far better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd go mercy birth centre, or if booked out- RWH. I had my second at mercy when it was at east melb and it was fine but I have heard their main****** maternity is quite medical compared to the women's. But if you can go the birth centre that'd be my first choice.