+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When do you spin the car seat around to the front?

Or forward facing should I say.....Isn't it 1 years old? A lady told me today it's 9kg but how? My 5 month old is already over 8kg so does this mean her seat is forward facing when she's about 6 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Legally you can turn a baby to face forwards when they are 6 months old and over 8kg. Some seats have a rearward facing weight limit of 9kg, and others have a limit of 12kg for rearward facing. The longer they face rearward, the better, as it is safer.

(Oops, I just realised I was still logged into my anonymous account. Sorry moderators )

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would personally never turn a baby at that age, it's far too young. I wait until the max rearward weight limit for the car seat, which my DS reached at about 16 months.

I would prefer to avoid an increased chance of serious neck injuries or death (usually from internal decapitation) if we were to be in an accident. There are some videos on youtube which demonstrate the impact a collision has upon an infants neck if they are in the forward facing position too young. Their necks fling forward with so much force, it's really quite scary. I would have my children face rearward for years if our laws permitted (and if I had isofix).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-12-2011),GrabbyCrabby  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I would personally never turn a baby at that age, it's far too young. I wait until the max rearward weight limit for the car seat, which my DS reached at about 16 months.

I would prefer to avoid an increased chance of serious neck injuries or death (usually from internal decapitation) if we were to be in an accident. There are some videos on youtube which demonstrate the impact a collision has upon an infants neck if they are in the forward facing position too young. Their necks fling forward with so much force, it's really quite scary. I would have my children face rearward for years if our laws permitted (and if I had isofix).
    I'd really recommend reading some of the extended rear facing websites and the videos are a real eye opener. I felt so bad for facing my first forward so early and ended up going back to rearward again and I kept my second rear facing as long as I could after that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the safe n sound meridian does anyone know how long it can stay rear? How do I find that info?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD was 16 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    I have the safe n sound meridian does anyone know how long it can stay rear? How do I find that info?
    12kgs the new one goes on height not weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd guess 12 kilos?

I'll be waiting until DD is 12 kilos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When the child's shoulders reach the lower height shoulder markers in the new model. The info will be in the instruction manual. If you lost it its on the Britax website. 12kg for the old model.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thanks guys I'll just leave her chair rear for as loooong as possible.