+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Biocornuate Uterus? Any help appreciated!

Hi girls, I'm new to all of this as this is the first time we have conceived! I'm a bit concerned. On the 15th Dec 2011 I got our first BFP, yay! As we weren't sure how far along we were (I guessed 5-6 weeks) - the digi showed 3+, our doctor wanted to do a dating scan straight away. She did warn us however that it may be too early to show anything but wanted to check in case we were later along than what I thought.

Anyway they had to do an internal & found the sac! Dated four weeks and three days. Obviously it was way too early to see anything in it. Anyway the guy doing the ultrasound said that it looked like I had a biocornuate uterus (or twin uterus). He didn't seem too worried, saying the sac was implanted excatly where it should be. I've since googled it though and have found heaps of worrying things saying that people with a biocornuate uterus are classed as high risk pregnancies and mostly result in a c-sect or early m/c.

Sorry for the long version here! But I was wondering if anyone out there has had trouble free pregnancies with a biocornuate uterus?? If there are any issues/problems I'd love to find out about them now rather than later.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Am trying not to worry or look at too much stuff on the net!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rocky27,
    Please do not give the bicornuate uterus another thought. I have one, which my obstetrician called a 'heart shaped uterus' and said that it is no problem. I have had three sons. All natural births, no interventions, or drugs or problems.
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to frodo For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (19-12-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sister has one and has no issues, with a natural birth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got told almost 12 weeks ago at my 2nd ultrasound for baby #2 that I have that.

Never knew when I was preg with DD. Never had a problem. 4hrs established labour and 9 minutes pushing with only gas. So if anyone ever tells me I can't because of my uterus... I'll laugh in their faces. Haha

Brain, brain, gone away, will come back another day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, when I found that out at my appt the other day, of course I googled it and was starting to freak out a bit! I'm just so worried about something going wrong after TTC for so long. It's good to hear that many others have the same thing and have had safe pregnancies/births

Wow Tasha, 4 hours labour & nine mins pushing, thats awesome to hear a good birth expierence

Thank-you so much again, you've really helped put my mind at ease. I'm off for an appt tomorrow and will officially be 5 weeks, so early! We were meant to start Clomid tomorrow for fertility reasons so I've got to ring their office today & update them about whats gone on in the last 3-4 days It'll be interesting to see what they say about it. Thank-you so much again for the kind words!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my sister has this and has 2 children but hers was a very extreem case in that both side were compleaty seperate and different sizes. Both pregnancys the baby grew on the smaller side and were both C sections due to the babys inability to turn.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AliG For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I have a bicornuate and have had 2 breech babies out of2 kids as a result. The 'horn' stopped my kids from walking up the walls and turning to vertex. They also both sat on my right side and it looked quite funny as I had this huge bump on the right lol

There is a def link between bicornuate and malposition - so lots of breech, posterior, transverse. But there's no rules to say you'll end up with a c/s.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what the others are saying some people are not affected by it and some are. Mine has never caused much of a problem, it's only now that I'm preg with my 4th that it's come into play n bub is cornered on my right side and won't be able to turn but I was having a c/s anyway..

Your best bet is just to keep your options open and don't get your heart set on a natural birth. Depending on what your uterus does in preg is how you birth.. All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (19-12-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oops my sister actually has uterus didelpys (formerly misdiagnosed as bicornuate). So she has two complete uterus' (same size), two cervix and she had two vaginas (fully septated) however the septum was removed in an operation a few years back.

She was concerned her whole pregnancy that there would be no room for her baby to turn, resulting in breech position, however her baby was head down the whole time. She was also advised that the uterus bub was in might not contract efficiently during labour...however she had a very quick labour (about 4 hours).

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you so much again for the replies! It was freaking me out because I didn't really understand it and sometimes googling certain things can be scary. I couldn't find it in any of my pregnancy books either, so thats why it was worrying me. It's really good to hear from people who have either had it or known someone with it to get advice from

My Doctor called me to come in this arvo (I had the ultrasound & bloods Fri 16th Dec). My HCG levels were 3760! Woohoo, so excited by that!!!! My doctor was concerned though and has referred my to a OB/GYN straight away because of the shape of my uterus. She told me that a high percentage will end up in a C-Sect, but thats ok, I'm really open to anything as long as we are all healthy! She also told me that its on the left side of my uterus. She did mention that because of it I couldn't go to the birthing centre because they will class it as too much of a risk at this point. All this & only five weeks tomorrow! She's given me referrals for two OB/GYN's, so hopefully one will be able to fit me in and let me know what all this means.

As long as bub has enough room to grow, I'm happy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (19-12-2011),Witwicky  (19-12-2011)