+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you use a birth ball during labour?

i want to do a blog post on using a birth ball in labour. Because I'm a nerd, I've been reading studies which do in fact show that birth balls are great (big surprise) ie reduction in pain etc. However nothing beats hearing it from the horse's mouth so can anyone give input?

Even though I use a birth ball/ sit ball as a *chair* during pregnancy and in fact I'm sitting on one now lol I've not used one in birth

eta pls let me know if it's okay to quote you (fake name)
    Last edited by Chew the Mintie; 19-12-2011 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did use a ball while in labour with DD2. I was actually in transition when I was sitting on it and it was the only thing that was comfortable and bearable. I was sitting on it and rocking on it (you know how you kinda roll the ball under you?) gently.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (18-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I was on the shower chair during transition in my last labour and a birth ball would have been much better. Although possibly slippery?

Anyone used one in the shower?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ooh thanks for asking - I was thinking of buying one (for $12 at kmart) specifically for labour. So subscribing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes i used a birth ball in the shower. They put a towel over it so you dont slip off

It was heaven! I was thinking about using the bath this time around but i loved being able to rock on the birth ball and "move around" while still having water on me.

ETA: I also used my one at home before i went to the hospital, I was kneeling on a pillow leaning over it, with the shower just on my back - then just the same thing but in the lounge room with a heat bag on my back.
    Last edited by Bank; 18-12-2011 at 11:30.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Boobycino - prob need to check the kmart ones are antiburst and can take bouncing etc (and not just basically a big balloon) because i dont think labour would be the place to discover your ball will pop.. :/

Confusd - of course, the towel... good thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I used one with DDs labour. I was pretty much on it from when I got to hospital to just before my waters broke and i had to get pushing. I think it really does help, well it helped me deal with my contractions etc, would def recommend for anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did the same as a pp, leaned on it in the shower, I had back pain so I wanted to lean forward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did with Ds2's labour, best thing ever in the shower! Helped with gravity and comfort lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, I used one (hospital supplied) and it was great. I ended up with an epidural but only after 3 intense hours of labour (progressed quickly) and sitting on the ball or leaning over it had really made a difference.