+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For anyone planning to use an epidural

Ok, so first of all, I'll just recap what we all know ie no epidural is better for getting baby out, reducing time in labour, reducing chance of c-sec, etc.

However - for those planning on an epidural, I thought I'd just mention this that I just came across.

A study has trialled using peanut balls in labour where epidurals have been used and found they were really effective for reducing the time in labour:

I have cut and paste the study abstract (PB = peanut ball) but if you want the full study PM me.

(you can also see from the results that the PB group required less instrumental deliveries, and also that syntocin is associated with longer pushing etc)

Methods

Patients in both groups were turned every 1 to 2 hours from side to side or semi-Fowler. The PB would be applied between the patient's legs after the patient received the epidural. The control would monitor the patient beginning at the time the epidural was placed.

Results

The randomization assigned 200 laboring women to either the PB (n=107) or no PB (n=93). The primary outcome was women using the PB had a first stage labor time of 258.8 versus 341.9 minutes for those who did not use the PB for a difference of 90 minutes (0.006). The PB group had a 21.3 minute second stage and the control had a 43.5 minute second stage for a difference of 22.3 minutes. The use of the vacuum was 9.7 in the control and 6.7 with use of the PB. The use of the forceps in the control was 2.2 and in the PB was 1.9. The secondary outcomes included maternal age gestational age of fetus, weight of newborn, augmentation of labor with oxytocin, which did not differ significantly between the two groups. With one exception the PB group had a cervical dilation that was 4.7 versus 4.2 cm for the control group at the start of the study. For every 1 cm more dilated the patient presented upon enrollment into the study the labor was reduced by 35 minutes. Total oxytocin time extended the length of first and second stage labor. No serious adverse events associated with use of the PB were reported. Every 1 hour oxytocin used increased pushing time 1.2 minutes. Length of pushing was variable with the use of oxytocin or parity.

Conclusion/Implications for Nursing Practice

The use of the PB during labor for patients with an epidural significantly reduced the length of labor without adverse neonatal outcomes.

I can't find any images of how this works except for this:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def.../2b/5_1833.jpg

Anyway I thought I would post this because there is so little info on giving yourself the best shot with an epidural!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awesome. Thanks for the info!

So the ball is similar to a pilates ball? (like a small gym ball I spose you'd say?)

Might ask my MW about it at my next appt

Thanks
    Reviews
    It looks like, but I guess smaller and err shaped like a peanut. I had an epidural for my third and had some issues getting her out until I put my legs up in stirrups and raised the back of the bed up so I absolutely can believe this study.

Your midwife might not have heard of this, but I'm sure she'd see the logic and I can not think of a reason on earth that anyone could have against giving it a go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epi with my first two kids and im having it again 3rd time around. I never had a problem *knock on wood* i hold out till as long as i can, Im a big sook tho..lol
    thanks for the info.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Awesome! Haha i admit i thought at first you were talking about something edible made from peanuts that was inserted between the mothers legs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol, I thought the same as AM. I'm planning on having an epi with my second (due may 2nd). I had one with dd because I was literally passing out with the contractions in the first stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting read, thank you!

I'm toying with the idea of an epi after my last birth has left me more traumatised than I realised until I got pregnant again!I love that there is an option to help as the thought of forceps/ventouse scares me!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (19-12-2011)