+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Waking up with a sore back

Okay, so I know this is random and people will probably tell me to see a doctor...but I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else and see if anyone has any tips to prevent it.

I have been waking up with a really sore, stiff back every morning - I can barely move from the stiffness. Once I get up and move about it is fine and I don't notice it at all during the day, but come the next morning, I feel like I'm 87!

The only thing that has really changed is that DS has started sleeping through in the last 3-4 weeks. It's like now I am lying down for 8 hours straight instead of getting up once or twice to feed, my body is paying for it. Has this happened to anyone else???

Our bed and mattress are only about 3 years old and this hasn't happened until recently. Any tips from wise hubbers on how I can prevent it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have exactly the same thing, but I hurt my back a few years ago, and I think that this is residual pain.

I find that when I've been exercising regularly, especially core muscles, and I've been stretching regularly it feels much better, and hurts less often,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Lock and Lu  (18-12-2011)

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i know you say the mattress is fairly new, but is it the right sort of mattress? might be too soft or too stiff for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

lola77 is offline BH Advocate - Sydney: Northern Beaches
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Go get it checked out. I finally went to the doctor after months of pain and osteo treatment, on,y to find I had a bulging disc at L5.

All that lifting, carrying and bending puts so much strain on your lower back. It's worth a quick visit to rule out anything out which will get worse without treatment.

Just be really conscious of engaging your stomach muscles every time you have to lift and bend.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lola77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is me too! Been going on for nearly a month now. Its almost like my back muscles are cramping. Impossible to get back to sleep after an early morning pee! Mind you I'm 25 weeks preggers. It happened suddenly. Then every morning since. Except for the random morning where it doesn't happen. Started a pregancy pilates class but it hasn't helped much (though it has helped my muscles when sneezing )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ripleigh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go & see your GP.

I woke up with a sore back for 6 months thinking it was just my 'normal' bad back & maybe something was wrong with my bed as I was going to bed with a good back & waking up with a sore one. I'd had back issues for years, but rest usually made it better. Turns out it was my gallbladder & it wasn't til a gall stone got stuck & I got quite sick that we realised what it was. After my gallbladder came out I didn't have ANY back pain for 6 months - it was amazing - turns out some of my daytime back pain had probably been due to my gallbladder too!

And there are other conditions that can cause morning back pain & stiffness. Definitely worth getting looked into.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I might go see my osteo about it. I was kind of hoping everyone would pop in and say 'yeah, totally normal when your baby sleeps through' but I do think I need to get it checked. It's so bad I can barely get over to DH for a morning cuddle!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think I have the same thing, but mine starts hurting part of the way through the night. It started when my third was about 4-5 months and sleeping through as well. I wake up around 4 maybe, and the pain across my lower back and hips is just phenomenal! And yeah, I feel really stiff. Once I get up and walk around and have a shower its fine for the rest of the day and night, til the same time the next morning. On days I go to be really late I don't get it. When I was sick and spent more time than usual in bed, it hurt constantly, so I'm sure its something to do with lying down for long periods. Funnily though, it comes and goes, sometimes for weeks I won't get it, then it comes back. We've changed mattresses and I've seen my osteo but nothing has really worked.

I finally saw my dr about it recently as after a bit of googling I was worried I had ankylosing spondylitis, she sent me for a test for the gene that is often (not always) associated with it, and I don't have that gene so unlikely I have the disorder but not impossible. SO I think she said they will do some other tests or something that will check if theres any fusion in my spine etc. Other than that, I have no idea what it could be.

Hope you find an answer!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post: