+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's your night time routine look like with 2+?

With DD3 coming in Jan, I really haven't had the energy to really make major changes to DD2's (2.5 years) nighttime routine of:

Bath with DH
    Books with DH / PJ's on
    Breastfeed (about 15 - 20 mins, 30 mins max or she's just fluffing )
    Then some more fluffing, chatting about the day, patting off to sleep on the
    the mattress on our floor.

This usually starts at 6/6:30pm with the bath and generally I walk out of the room closer to 8pm. Include maybe 1 night waking now at 3am with loud requests then protests for milk, and then up for the day with a loud 'look it's the sun - time for milk' at 5am. Despite blockouts. That's another thread though..

Now, I actually don't want to change this aspect, I am happy to continue down this little path for DD2 until she goes into her own room one day or it just changes on her own accord...

But - it's poor little DD3 that we have to accommodate...I'll have to include a feed before bed (and it's always the loooonnnngest one too) which I am hoping to make 7:00pm - which would mean then usually a 6pm start time...

Here's what I am *hoping* in my naive little mind will happen :

Before or around 6pm:
    - DH baths, reads books and changes DD2, starts nighttime process (e.g, lights out, cuddles, chats, etc)
    - I help bath DD3, take her out early, change her, start feeding her in the lounge / another dark room, settle her for bed and then put her in a bassinet in another room
    DH / I swap - I go in and finish nighttime routine, if that's a feed, a little pat off and DH can watch DD3 incase she wakes up again, needs to be rocked etc to sleep...

Tell me, What do you do with your 2+ little ones when you spend considerable time putting one or both of them to bed? Could you share your little nighttime routine with me? THANKS!

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I won't lie. It was difficult for DS to adjust with DD's arrival. He was used to falling asleep on me in bed, and we eventually worked out a way that I could feed DD laying down whilst DS fell asleep on my arm. When possible, DH would rock the baby to sleep while I took care of DS. Otherwise, I would have one on either side- feeding DD on one side and DS laying on my arm the other way. Not good for my back, but I survived. When DS turned 3 (DD was 6months old), he decided to start sleeping in his own bed but we still share a room. DD is 11 months now and DS usually goes to sleep in our bed then we move him, but he knows it's coming so he doesn't mind. DD goes to sleep late, about 11-12pm and DS 8-8:30. DH and I take turns usually as they keep each other up.

So at the moment -
    6-6:30 dinner
    7-7:30 I take DS for a shower or bath while DH has DD.
    8 - story and bed. DH and I take it in turns usually but he would prefer me.
    DH and I both go to bed with DD

Your plan sounds realistic and I think it will work well. Our major issue was that DS is very attached to me and DH has never really been a major part of bed time. It's not for lack of trying; it's just DS' nature. Also, DH was away half the week until DD was about 8 months old which made it more difficult. DS still prefers me to take him to bed but we can get away with DH doing it
    Last edited by Mrs Molly Coddle; 17-12-2011 at 23:18.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (19-12-2011)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your experiences I have to say we're the same here, DD is very attached to me but is gradually letting DH have more of a part of putting her to bed, so that's good.

Where would you put DD while you watching TV or just spending time at night before she fell asleep? (Did she actually fall asleep that late - or you guys would bring her into bed when you did?)...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well when it was DD1 and DD2 came along we'd put DD1 in to bed with the hall light on and give her a bunch of books and she'd read them to herself until I got DD2 to sleep and then I'd go and lie with DD1.
    We did baths, then dinner, then stories together. Sometimes, when DD1 was a bit older and could be quiet (she was 21 months when DD2 was born so too little at that stage) she'd sit next to me and breastfeed her baby while we watched tv in the dark and we'd put our babies to bed and then I'd put DD1 to bed.

I'm on my own for the night time routine but if DH was home (on the weekend) he took care of DD1 and I took care of DD2.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2 year old ds and a 4 month old dd. I bath DD first at about 5:30pm and dress and feed her and usually pat her to sleep if she needs help going off while Dh baths ds and I then get on with the nighttime ritual with him. Putting the littley to bed first definately works best in our house

On a side note I night weaned ds when I was about 4 months pg and am soooooo glad I did (shortterm pain lol). I still feed him morning, nap and bedtime. I am totally wrecked getting up with DD overnight even though she sleeps pretty well and don't think I could have functioned with him night feeding as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bambibambino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Well when it was DD1 and DD2 came along we'd put DD1 in to bed with the hall light on and give her a bunch of books and she'd read them to herself until I got DD2 to sleep and then I'd go and lie with DD1.
    We did baths, then dinner, then stories together. Sometimes, when DD1 was a bit older and could be quiet (she was 21 months when DD2 was born so too little at that stage) she'd sit next to me and breastfeed her baby while we watched tv in the dark and we'd put our babies to bed and then I'd put DD1 to bed.

I'm on my own for the night time routine but if DH was home (on the weekend) he took care of DD1 and I took care of DD2.
    That's a good idea letting DD1 wind down in the room by herself while you were busy with DD2.. I think that will work for us once we move her into her own room until her first true wake for the night (usually now at 3/4am).. How sweet the both of you feeding together..DD would be so into that!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Areca  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambibambino View Post
    I have a 2 year old ds and a 4 month old dd. I bath DD first at about 5:30pm and dress and feed her and usually pat her to sleep if she needs help going off while Dh baths ds and I then get on with the nighttime ritual with him. Putting the littley to bed first definately works best in our house

On a side note I night weaned ds when I was about 4 months pg and am soooooo glad I did (shortterm pain lol). I still feed him morning, nap and bedtime. I am totally wrecked getting up with DD overnight even though she sleeps pretty well and don't think I could have functioned with him night feeding as well.
    I think I'm leaning towards putting hr youngest to bed first - something very similar to your night time routine..

I need to early morning wean DD I think...I don't know if it contributes to her very early waking for the day (around 5) but when she wakes, I feed her in the hope she'll sleep some more like she used to - but it doesn't work anymore!!!

I need the energy though to do it, and this late in the pregnancy, I'm finding it harder to find the motivation!!

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    Thanks for your experiences I have to say we're the same here, DD is very attached to me but is gradually letting DH have more of a part of putting her to bed, so that's good.

Where would you put DD while you watching TV or just spending time at night before she fell asleep? (Did she actually fall asleep that late - or you guys would bring her into bed when you did?)...
    She still goes to bed very late. It's 1:15am now and she's only just gone to sleep! Ah! We just carry her around with us or she hangs out on the floor doing her thing. When she was younger, usually DH would hold her and watch Telly or read while I tidied up or whatever I needed to do. It's quite lovely! Then the three of us go to bed together when she is tired. She sleeps between DH and I in our bed. She doesn't have a bed/cot/bassinet. Before DS started sleeping in his bed, I slept between the two kids and DH slept in a single bed on his own most of the time!
    Last edited by Mrs Molly Coddle; 23-12-2011 at 00:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ideally, our two would both go to bed at about the same time but DD at 11 months will not have a bar of it. We live in a one bedroom granny flat with no bedroom door, so if one is asleep, we just do whatever we can to keep the other happy! For DD that's pottering around until midnight with us.

(sooooo tired ! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this as we're now living it and struggling.

I'm still feeding the toddler to bed, and it's now taking me more than an hour to sit here with her (not feeding the whole time, a lot of the time is spent "winding down" which involves talking, attempting gymnastics all over the bed and the usual fluff tactics) and my little baby is in DHs arms, a little unsettled and not ready for bed...

I need to focus on baby during the witching / cluster feeding times as I'm up for a couple of hours from 3am as she catches up on her feeds there...

Would love to revisit some other people's ideas!??