+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the consensus of this thread is that MUMS (Parents even, there are DADS in this situation as well I'm sure) do not have enough support when they get sick, as far as trying to get themselves better, and at the same time, trying to look after children.

It is an extremely poor state of affairs really, one that needs some kind of remedy, looking after kids is exhausting enough when you are fit and well!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-12-2011),btmacxxx  (27-11-2013),Californication  (20-12-2011),Gothel  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I think the consensus of this thread is that MUMS (Parents even, there are DADS in this situation as well I'm sure) do not have enough support when they get sick, as far as trying to get themselves better, and at the same time, trying to look after children.

It is an extremely poor state of affairs really, one that needs some kind of remedy, looking after kids is exhausting enough when you are fit and well!
    You are SO right. When parents are sick, it sucks whether you are the Mum, the Dad, whether you work or not. Just being sick sucks without having little people that need your care and attention.

I think some people are taking Benji's post a bit personally. I didn't read it as an attack on SAHM's, rather that she was saying that it's something that ALL parents face whether they work or not. Things have just spiralled from there and it really doesn't need to.

The SAHM v's WM thing is just silly. We are all Mums. We all try to do what is best for our kids. There doesn't need to be a competition or divide among us.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-12-2011),WorkingClassMum  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it really is bad and it's not DS's regular daycare day, I will book him into occasional care for a day so I can just sit on the couch paralyzed for a few hours.
    At night I have noone to help me. Yay for being a SSAHM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Here's the story about insurance if SAHM's if they get sick

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-m...-1226045270175
    Last edited by Izy; 20-12-2011 at 18:52. Reason: ref to deleted text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know - I asked earlier in this thread about this insurance. Personally I think it's rubbish. Like I said above you have to be sick for 14 consecutive days after you have seem a doc's certificate before you can get coverage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't imagine it would be v profitable if they offered insurance for a cold. In the same way income protection insurance isn't for colds and flu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post
    I don't imagine it would be v profitable if they offered insurance for a cold. In the same way income protection insurance isn't for colds and flu.
    Agree. I think Suncorp try to market it like that though. It's not until people read the policy that you realise what it actually does and does not protect. Equally it isn't comparable to employees sick leave - you don't need to be sick for 14 consecutive days with doc cert to get sick leave (and paid).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I stay at home and allow my little one to play with his toys, my phone, watch TV.

Once I have asked the ex to come pick up my son and take him to daycare (I was supposed to be at work so he had booked care that day) cause I had gastro but with the fall-out from that I think in future I'll just trudge along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if anyone out there would have a GP who knows them well and would be willing to "bend the truth a bit" to help their patient?
    I have a friend who gets one certificate after the other for nothing more than a small cough or a runny nose :\

Besides, who says its been 14 days? You can go to the GP and say "mate its been 14 days and I just cant shake this terrible cough. I can barely walk to the toilet without coughing" even if you have only had it for 3 days.....
    Unless you go to your GP on day 1 and come back 14 days later, Im sure someone will find a way to rort this system.

Mind you, being a single mum who had her son through an unexpected cesarean 4 weeks preterm, it would have been bliss to have someone cooking and cleaning for me. I wasn't allowed to lift anything, stand for too long or drive the car for 6 weeks. Its not like I had an OH to do all that for me.
    So perhaps they should offer an insurance like this to all those single mums and dads for free or at a discounted rate. I dont know. Seems a bit more fair to me that way.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Issue with that is all insurance (other than private health) is priced based on risk.
    The % of claim for single parents would be higher, so premiums higher...

I'd imagine if a dr is caught bending the truth they not only loose thier license but they can also face criminal proceedings for fraud.