+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Heh. Irony.

I work from home, but unfortunately there are no nanny services up here to help in that sort if situation. If I'm ill and the wifey can't get away from work, it's just a matter of sucking it up.

We have an assortment of kids movies saved on the IQ box for just such an emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with Benji. It's not just a SAHM thing. I know that even if I worked, or if DS went to school or daycare, I have been in no shape to take him. Even driving to the Dr's was scary as I was so not with it.

SAH or working parent, we all have the same challenges when we are sick, or the kids are. But at least us SAH's don't also have bosses at work to deal with when the kids are sick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks Cali nice to know somebody understands.

DaddyLarge, you have the double whammy of having no set 'sick leave' due to working from home and you get the fun task of trying to work WITH sick kids at home! My DP has the same challenge when I have no more sick days from work to care for DS.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Californication  (20-12-2011)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by swizzlestick; 23-12-2011 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My general method of survival is to pt the tv on, get out as many toys as i can and let the kids run amok while i lay on the couch. I make the simplest of meals and hope the kids sleep at night so i can to.
    It's hell - it's one of the many reasons i will never have another child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is hard when you're sick, and for the record most working mothers still go to work when they are sick as they need to save their personal leave for when their kids are sick - so there's no comfy lounge and jammies that day for them.
    Last edited by Izy; 20-12-2011 at 18:45. Reason: ref to deleted text

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I work full time and can really only afford to take time off when DD gets sick. If i feel something coming on i dose up with Odourless Horseradish and Gardlic tablets (note the ODOURLESS) Orange juice, put garlic in everything i cook and give DD vitamins.

Doesnt work all the time.

When i do get sick i think my DD enjoys it cos i am not constantly telling her to "Put that down" or "Get down from there" I move everything i need to a safe room for both of us and barracade us into it...

I hope you feel better soon\
    Last edited by Izy; 20-12-2011 at 18:45. Reason: ref to deleted text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No sick leave for mums/parents.

My DF seems to get sick leave though

But nope. Sucks when it's a cold type thing because I've not been able to take cold/flu medication for nearly 4 years! (pregnancy + breast feeding + pregnancy!) bah!

I did get sick leave once. Jaspers godmother was living with us, DF said he couldn't take the day off, she took one look at me and said she wouldn't leave me. She wound up not being paid - she tried to get it as 'personal leave' but her company didn't allow it - just to look after jasper. I literally slept ALL day. Like of 36 hours I was awake for 1-2 total & that 1-2 hours was to breast feed jasper & give him back before I passed out again. No idea what id have done had she not been there.

The next day I was fractionally better, well enough I could at least safely be left with jasper.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get a mattress and put it in the lounge, then lie on it and try to keep an eye on the kids as well.

Inky I totally get where you were coming from with this thread... You had no underhand or separatist intentions...

Chill out peoples!!!
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 20-12-2011 at 16:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a sahm but I work as a casual which means no work, no pay. I have also been far too sick to safely be behind the wheel of a car which means dd is home with me. Last time this happened we nearly had a fire in the kitchen because she had a tantrum and wanted popcorn. I was overcome with dizziness and then began projectile vomiting. During that time the bag caught fire butit didn't cause a big fire luckily. I don't know what to suggest, nothing is ideal, particularly with SN kids like mine.