+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sick pay isnt all its cut out to be! Im not a SAHM at the moment.

I try not to get sick because I work so when i am sick - we lose more money. I dont have any sick leave left because it was all used up taking days off for DD's tonsillitis and then when she had her tonsils out.
    If i take a day off that is a kindy day although i do get to lay at home alone till pick up. But i lose a days pay and we still have to pay the expensive kindy fee's.

When i do get sick i hope thats its on my day off. Then I lay on couch and put on DVD's for DD.

When we had gastro that came through our house i had to pay my sister to drive up to my house and pick up DD. Being pregnant i ended up in hospital getting fluid.

I hate living away from everyone sometimes. Life would be so much easier if i could just ring my mum and get her to come over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try my best to 'suck it up' and keep going. When I had a CS my dh had no time off but I managed on my own. I had swine flu a few years ago and literally could not lift my head off the pillow for over 2 days. I have never been so sick! My ds had it at the same time. Not quite so bad as I did but there was little movement from both of us. Dh filled water bottles, chopped fruit and left it in our bedroom. He came home at lunch time to check on us (he works 7 mins up the road).
    It is awful being without family when you're sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If your kids are babies they'll USUALLY have a nap at some stage allowing you to nap too. If they're toddlers/pre-schoolers, I'd give them a bunch of quiet activities or seriously have no issues with feeding them junk all day (just cos it's easy) and plonking them in front of a DVD while I lay on the couch half nodding off.

If they're school-aged, then I think they're old enough to say, "I feel sick, so I'm going to lay down. Come wake me if you need me."

It might pay to have a box on hand, full of "special" stuff that only comes out when you're ill. Perhaps new craft items, new toys, a few DVDs that are exclusively for that box. So everything is new and exciting and hopefully they'll be more inclined to pay attention to it when it comes out... unlike the stuff they see each and every day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

It might pay to have a box on hand, full of "special" stuff that only comes out when you're ill. Perhaps new craft items, new toys, a few DVDs that are exclusively for that box. So everything is new and exciting and hopefully they'll be more inclined to pay attention to it when it comes out... unlike the stuff they see each and every day.
    Awesome idea!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I've had 4 c-sec and no help with any of them just got to keep going

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you think of their insurance?

I had a look at it earlier this year, but personally, there is no way I would do that insurance. It doesn't cover you for odd 'sick' days or even an odd sick week. You have to pay at least $500 a day, and then you are only covered if you are sick for more than 14 consecutive days after you visit a gp. That is a fairly serious illness or injury. You only get re-imbursed for tasks that you employ other people to do (nannying/cleaning/laundry) - it doesn't cover loss of your salary or your partners salary should he/she take leave to care for you and at the minimum policy up to $500 a week (would that even cover a full time nanny and cleaner)? Furthermore, the financial assistance maxes out at $25,000.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Izy  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think people realise that you only get a small amount of sick days a year so if you are sick for a week or if your child is sick and you stay with them that preety much eats away all your entitlement. so the odd days here and there are unpaid.....my friends with kids that work full-time usualy spend the days they have sick to catch up n work around the house that they normaly fit in before and after work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK so everyone else just does their best superwomen impersonation as well.... so it's us and the prime minister who don't get sick days then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    OK so everyone else just does their best superwomen impersonation as well.... so it's us and the prime minister who don't get sick days then!
    Hey what???? The prime minister doesn't get sick days?