+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default NO Sick leave for Mums?

I'm wondering what other SAHM's do when THEY get sick?

We don't have family close by and hubby is self employed so no work, no pay. If he has a job booked in he can't usually reschedule.

All of our friends have jobs or kids of their own....
    Has anyone used a nanny service or similar? But I'm guessing they will probably turn me down if I only ring when I want to pass on germs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just trudge along and look after the kids myself I am in your exact situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hugs. It sucks being sick without any help.

If you need to leave the tv on with repeats of a favourite show for the kids and kid proof that room so you can rest go for it. Just put a plate of food on table or floor and a few cuos or bottles of drink out do it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I'm sick I usually curl up in bed and cry for 10 seconds over how unfair it all is and then haul myself into the kitchen and medicate with coffee. The rest of the day involves the couch, lots of plyschool dvds, and children whinging at my lack of playfulness.

If I'm feverish/delirious and truly really incapacitated then DH simply must stay home. No other options. He becomes suddenly very dedicated to his job when I'm sick though....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (19-12-2011)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is probably not at all helpful but i just don't get sick. Dunno why. We have had millions of bugs through this house in 4 years of parenthood, and i got *one*. Seriously, DH was just commenting today on how our girls haven't been to the doc in a while and the bank balance is finally coming up. Last time i was sick, I was bf dd2 (2+yrs ago), and DH literally had to bring her to me for a bf, cos I could not stand up (flu). But apart from that i have not got sick... oh no hang on there were two bouts of 24 hour gastro... back in 2008.

So what's ya per-ob-el-em? Don't get sick!!

Mumma Inky, what's up, you got a bug?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I make it as simple as I can for my children to get things without me, when I get up I prepare snacks and easy to eat foods (sandwiches, cut salad sticks and dip, 2 min noodles) and I get them a bottle of water and 2 cups (or win younger pop top drink bottles with water in them) I prepare a DVD and get out some quiet activities that they can play with with minimal supervision. I drag my sorry self to the couch (or them to my room) and supervise and cuddle as needed. I can rest and they know that mummy is sick so to be quiet and not too full on so mummy can get better quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got the second lot of gastro in as many months. DS are 20 months and 10 weeks so not very self sufficient.
    I have been putting the telly on and laying on the couch, trouble is it's a far run to the loo, amazing how quick one can jump an array of toys and a baby gate if needed
    In all my 7 years nursing I don't think I ever caught as many bugs as my 2 years being SAHM!
    MMM, my DH seems to always be busy at work when the germs come to visit too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sucks, hey?! My DH works in the mines and me being sick when he is away is awful! Luckily I don't get sick very often these days. If I feel a cold coming, I dose myself up on vit c and echinacea.

Otherwise, ABC2! My kids love it as they usually only get an hour a day lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Worst I've had while DH has been working was a cold, so nothing too bad really. Just kinda had to get through it as best I could.
    When I had gastro it was horrible, but thankfully DH was home. It didn't make it easier though as DD1 still wanted me and to be with me, she didn't understand that I was sick and needed rest. Throw in morning sickness with that too haha. Gastro + morning sickness = fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i usually lock us in the lounge room have abc on all day and do as little as i can