+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default School age vent!

Ok so we made our decision a couple of months ago to send our end of April daughter to school the year she turns 6.
    Preschools and schools reassured us that this is the better option even though she is socially and academically matching the kids going to school next year.
    Tonight we go out with friends from work 1 5yr old, 3 4 yr olds, 1 3yr old.

My 4th old girl spent the whole night playing with the with the older 4 who all go to school next yr whilst the 3 yr old just didn't seem to be on the same level as them at all and guess which one will be going to school when my girl does!!!!
    Why do we have this stupid system where kids can be up to 18months diffrent in age.

I now feel like I'm putting her at a great social disadvantage and these kids that we see a lot will exclude her from now on as she is not in their school yr even though she is just a mature as them ( more mature then some)and only 2 weeks younger then 1 of them but 16 months older then the girl who will be in her yr.
    Aaaarh stupid stupid system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Was it her kinder/preschool teacher who suggested you keep her back? Or did you decide for yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We decided ourselves. Preschool said she would be fine either way. At her preschool their are kids even older then her not going next yr and maybe only 1 younger going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what I have researched its the dob that counts. The cur of is 30th of June. So if they are born after they lose a yr. So April shouldn't matter. I don't think the school can refuse. So maybe its your misunderstanding.

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I know she could go either yr because her birthday is April. It just drives me crazy that if we sent her next yr she would end up with kids up to 16months older then her, keep her for the following yr and she will be the one 16 months older. Why can't there be a single date that your 5 at and you go not 5 you don't.
    12months difference is big enough 18months is stupid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    5 in April if your child is socially and academically ready I'd be sending her sounds like she is more then ready to go and will probably get really bored having another year of preschool and might not fit in with the younger/ less mature kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kristyNluke View Post
    5 in April if your child is socially and academically ready I'd be sending her sounds like she is more then ready to go and will probably get really bored having another year of preschool and might not fit in with the younger/ less mature kids.
    I agree. DS was born in Feb but we're keeping him back, though it was suggested by his kindy teacher and he is a bit immature. If your child is ready then I'd send her.