+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default So overwhelmed ......

And truly at my wits end :-( . I'm so emotionally drained . So many things are not going well in my life at the moment and my NEVER EVER tired children ontop of this are wearing me out . I'm usually so patient :-( . They are just never tired come night time at a reasonable hour . I've tried it all. Short day time naps , long day time naps , ensuring their not overtired at night , waiting till their exhausted , watching what they eat , baths , relaxing , a good bedtime routine , no bedtime routine. Seriously I could go forever. I'm beyond even wanting advice , they are just wakeful kids .

One question , does anyone wake their children in the morning in order to have abit of control over what time they go to bed that night ? Please dont answer no way I'd never wake my kids . I'm very relaxed and don't enforce much over my Kids regarding strict routines , the thoughg of waking them does
    not sit well with me , I would feel bad for a start , but secondly I am up all.night.long to either one as it is . Waking them? The thought is omg , I'll die . I need every ounce of sleep I can get. But I also need them to go to bed at a reasonable time . Everything else re- two kids 14 months apart , no probs so far . Loving it . Come bedtime , they kill me . DD is a baby . DS is two in a month . But has no words yet . Not talking . I won't throw him in he's room and say goodnight bedtime it is and shut the door. Had be traumatized and wouldn't even understand . I just need then to BE TIRED EARLIER!!!!!!!

So , does anyone wake their kids in the morning at a certain time ?

Please no judgement I honestly feel like a sh*thouse mum as it is that doesn't know what I'm doing . I hear people say their kids have 2-3 hr naps , in bed by 7 blah blah . Wtf ???? My kids would be up till midnight !

Please help :-( please . Xo

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -21 months 
    DD - 7 months 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No advice, lovely lady.... But great big hugs... You poor thing... I do have good night sleepers although DD1 is waking up to 3 times a night and up at 430am for the day every day!... but I do not and never have had good day sleepers... it sounds like you are doing and have done everything you can, and can't think of anything else to add... I do wonder and you may have tried this but with whatever you want to 'enforce' for their bedtime routine, or encourage as their sleep cues, have you just been consistent with that for a good couple of weeks? The first few nights would be hell, but maybe they will 'get' it if it is repeated again and again with no deviation - you've probably already done this??

What about books? Story time every night before bed? Or a very quiet DVD to help them unwind! Or the park in the afternoon and let them run stupid - well your DS for now!

Oh to answer your question I wouldn't wake them!!!

Know you are not alone although you very well may feel like it... Hang in there chick!

A.
    xx
    Last edited by babylove81; 17-12-2011 at 20:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started waking my DS up from about 2 years old. Heaps of friends family frowned on it but I knew if I woke him up with me and gave him breakfast and all of the while DD ( who was a little baby) was sleeping that it would be so much easier!! I used to wake him around 6:30-7:00am but at the time he wasn't going to bed till late but still had a day nap. Can't give much advice as DD is a horrible sleeper ( goes to bed fine but wakes a million times a night) and she is nearly 4!! So I am sleep deprived and brain addled too :/

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep i have woken my DS in the morning, if its getting on past 8am..this doenst happen often but it did today..if he sleeps in , he wont want a nap til late, then wont want to go to bed til late...no thanks, i need a break at night to do my own thing for a few hours and i need to get to sleep too, im old LOL. i dont have a problem with this, it doesnt hurt him. i will wake him as well in the arvo nap if he has gone done late eg if he didnt go down til 1.30pm etc i wont let him sleep past 2.30pm....some reason is that he wont want to sleep til late that night. some kids need less sleep than others. he rarely sleeps 12hours at night like the so called "norm". other than that he is ok, but we did use a sleep consultant several times....its so hard when u are tired . kinda worried tho about getting enuf sleep when the new baby arrives....
    Last edited by jfblady72; 17-12-2011 at 20:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hugs. I used to have to wake for daycare but no longer need to as he is up as soon as day breaks.

What are your curtains like? If you feel wrong waking them, can you change yoyr curtains to ones that will brighten up the room? That way you have no guilt over waking and they are doing it naturally?

Hope you find a solution soon. Hugs

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD gets woken up one day a week at 0630, so she can go to daycare, so I can get to work on time. She has a longer day sleep at daycare, and is ready for bed earlier. I've noticed it 're sets' her routine, otherwise everything creeps later and later over the week, and she'll happily be sleeping until 1030 every morning. Good luck with your decision. You're their Mum, you know them best, and what they need. Hugs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried it for a while and found I had grumpy surly children who would act up through the day and often overtired at nap time :/ we went with keeping days REALLY active and busy for a while and then story an lights out after a while their bodies got used to this and it didnt need to always be so active.. A few times I even sent them to mums for a weekend or so she always managed to get it ok again (but I was the definition of wakeful kid so she's had practice )

Honestly I'd try it at worst it doesn't work and you have a couple of days with tired grumpy kids

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What time do you all get up if you weren't to wake them up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What time do they tend to wake up at the moment Kitty?

My DH is a real night owl and struggles to get to bed before midnight. Therefore he also tends to sleep late. His doc told him the best way to fix the problem is to start with what time you get up, so to make sure he was up by 6.30am every morning and the bed time would adjust. He said it would take a few weeks but his body clock should slowly adapt. So yes, if they are sleeping late I would definitely wake them.

kitty

xxx
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 17-12-2011 at 21:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor darling, my sympathies to you. Nothing worse than sleep deprivation

I just wanted to let you know that I have 2 kids (now 6 and a half and the other just turned 2) and while DS has always been a good sleeper DD has been a nightmare since day 1. I was a sahm for the first 12 months with DS and 18 months with DD and after that returned to work a couple of days a week. On these days due to work I had no choice BUT to wake them up in order to get ready for childcare on time. It has never done them any harm. And on those days they have been in bed that night by 7-7:30pm and asleep within minutes, which is in stark contrast to the days I was at home and a lot more relaxed about what time they went to bed.

A good way to know if their bed time is relative to the sleep issues would be to keep a journal recording the time they finally went to sleep and what time they woke the next day and see if the amount of sleep is consistent? If they average 10 hours overnight, or 12 hours etc you may get a feeling for how much sleep they actually need and be able to adjust their waking time accordingly.

There is a book by Sheyne Rowling (Aust. baby whisperer) called "Dream Baby Guide" which has lots of information on helping babies through to toddlers to get to sleep and stay asleep. In this book she actually advocates waking them in the morning to keep their routine and get them to bed earlier. It may be worth the read?

Good luck hun and big I hope you get a good night sleep soon x