+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is similarly fussy, he will only now eat meat or biscuits... Mmm healthy.

I started hum on pentavite this week, not ideal but better than nothing. I'm luck if, at the moment, he'll eat more than 3 nuggets in any one meal. Depressing for me but Im assuming that he won't starve himself.

I'm hoping it will pass, he used to love veggies but now not at all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inkognito View Post
    could you maybe try to give her dinner at lunch time and something lighter at night before bed?

DS was a bugger at dinner time because he was tired, but now he has is main meal after his 11-1 nap and then has something light at dinner time and he eats more because he not so grumpy and tired

you said she likes the 1-3 yr baby foods, have you tried to make the same thing up yourself at home, A friend used to keep an empty babyfood jar that she would fill with home made stuff and her DD would eat it because she thought it was the jar stuff

good luck
    That's a very good idea! I will definitely try giving her more earlier in the day. Don't know why that never occurred to me! Thank you

Yes, I have also done the 'putting home made food in jars so she thinks it's not home made' trick. It used to work, but I think she's on to me now...

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't have a fussy toddler but does she eat what you guys eat , I mean do you eat together at the table, usually they want what you have , would she eat food off your plate maybe? It's great she eats some good things like peas, would she eat a homemade fried rice with peas maybe - you could add eggs, bit of chicken etc or just try offering the food she likes but try it different ways? Sorry I'm not much help!
    Thanks. No, we don't eat together at the table for dinner. We do for breakfast, and for lunch, but she has her dinner at 4.30pm and then goes to bed straight afterwards. I know it's early, but she's done the same thing since she was very very little, and it's a routine that works for her. DH isn't home from work until later, and so we tend to eat around 6.30-7pm. I've tried eating something (e.g., a snack) with her at dinner time, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwowilldo View Post
    This could be written by me!
    My 19 month old son lives off rice and yogurt. He will also eat a bit of chicken, cruskits, other dry biscuits, and raffertys fruit pouches. No veges, no fresh fruit. It is so depressing to cook meals and have them go to waste, and to have to chase him around the house to get one spoonful in. And at the same time trying to get a fussy 3 year old to eat too. It gets to the point where you stop trying and just give him rice for dinner, because otherwise he'll wake up all night hungry.
    It is affecting my childs growth - he has dropped to the 3rd percentile for weight, and fallen below the 0 percentile for height (though 90th for head so we are good there!!)
    This week I have started a vitamin supplement syringed into his mouth to try and get a bit more balance.
    Mine is happy to chew once you can get some food past his no no no cries. I like strips of chicken and lamb cutlets that he can have a good gnaw on (but so sad when this expensive meat is just thrown on the floor like tonight...sigh). Dry cereal is also quite fun for chewing eg cherios or special k is a hit here.
    I have no real advice as you can see I am in the same boat.
    Hope things improve soon.
    Thank you. Definitely sounds like we are in the same boat! Hope things improve for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by sjay View Post
    I've found DS more compliant with his food when he eats with us. There aren't any intolerances that are affecting her?
    My DS's definite hits are scrambled eggs (or omelettes - a sneaky way to get some veg in!), french toast, spaghetti, actually pretty much any pasta - have you tried doing creamy based pasta dishes instead of tomato based? soups are also really good, because they're pretty filling and he gets to "dip dip" some bread into the soup - he'll eat minestrone, pumpkin or chicken and sweetcorn.
    No intolerances. I have tried creamy pasta, and cheesy sauces (as she loves cheese) but to no avail. She also won't have bread if anything is on it! So if I put vegemite/ peanut butter on then she will wipe it off or try to eat around it. When we went for lunch today I gave her some bread that was dipped in pumpkin soup, but she would only eat the dry bread, and cried when she got some with pumpkin on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for all the advice so far. It's nice to know I'm not alone, even though it's not nice for all of us trying to sneak nutrition in to fussy toddlers! Some good advice there to take on board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing.

My DD 16 mths used to eat everything now eats nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.. I went thru a similar thing with my 18month dd a couple of months back... She has mashed veggies every night and loves them but then one night no way refused from then on... She was having a youghurt or cereal for dinner cos crying tantrums and refusal was just to hard at dinner time but after a week i thought it was silly cos she wasn't getting her proper nutrition so I started steaming apple and mashing it.. At first it was all apple and a half a spoon of veggies mixed in then just gradually increased the veggies.. Now all is good and back to normal.. But I just choose the apple cos it was sweet and kind of tricked her. Maybe try sweetening her dinner with some kind of fruit? It may sound silly to mash bannana and potato together but if she eats it may become easier?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CatnSummah For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep definitely agree with pp and maybe try and give the main meal at lunchtime until she is a bit older. This worked for my DD as it was a lot less stressful and we weren't both tired.
    Even now at nearly two I find it easier to introduce new foods in the day time rather than in the evening. Fruit and yoghurt is the dinner time standby for difficult nights in our house but she doesn't end up wanting it all the time. Good luck, it's so easy to stress about it I know.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onesie23 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 are a bit older but still fussy (getting better)
    I play favorites with dinner one night something either new or non-fave next night a fave - this way if they don't eat one night they will usually the next.
    I don't give anything else if they don't eat that's it - always done this right from very little (unless they are unwell).
    I also put a time limit on meals - after 15 ish mins if they are just mucking around they are not hungry so it's bath and bed time.
    I was chatting with a friend who is a dietitian and she said to look a the child's whole days intake to judge if it is balanced rather than per meal. She was also the one who said if they are playing with their food then they are not hungry so call it quits.
    I still have nightmare days with them (2.5 and 5 - tomorrow ) but it is improving

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Seacretsquirrel For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A time limit is a good idea, as meal times can take forever and I think she gets bored and frustrated.

Mixing fruit with veggies is another great tip!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is exactly the same and it is soooo frustrating! I know how you feel.

I find if I let him feed himself, he will try different things. I also let him use an adult fork (well supervised!) because he wants what his father and I have.

When we have things like meat and 3 veg, I cut up his meat and vegies very small, and mix it all in with mashed potato so it sticks together and he feeds himself that quite well.

He will also eat things more readily if I put a little tomato sauce on his plate to dip things in.

But, every day is still a battle!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's the end of the world if they keep eating the same stuff over and over again. Nutritionally you can try making it up with children's vitamins for the time being. If she likes pasta bolognaise can you try sneaking in new things in the sauce, chopped up veges finely and once it's covered in the tomato sauce she probably won't know. Same with the eggs, add one new ingredient in it every time in small amount. Some kids would be more motivated if they have some sort of "control", eg. letting them feed themselves, or letting them choose what they want, ie. giving them two choices, and they will feel more like trying if they're involved in the "family mealtimes". Some kids just don't do proper sit down meals and will graze on finger food, so things like dips, sausages, meatballs, biscuits, bits of steamed veges, fruits, raisins, yoghurt, milk shakes, jellies, they all add up if they eat through the whole day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostysmum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-12-2011)