+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 18mth old diet - please help

I'm going crazy... any help would be much appreciated!

My 18mth old DD has always been pretty uninterested in food, but I thought it may improve as she gets older.

We've tried to offer her a wide variety of food, and to keep offering her food that she refuses. In some cases that's worked (e.g., it took maybe 90+ goes before she would try a grape, but now she'll eat them), but in others not.

I'm getting so frustrated, as I feel as if she has the same foods all the time, and isn't getting a healthy balance of everything she should be having.

It's really getting me down that I keep cooking her dinners that I think she'll like, and she either refuses to try them or else spits them out.

Even with food she DOES like I usually have to bribe her to eat at dinner time. (E.g., drawing a flower every time she eats a mouthful!)

At the moment her day is like this:

Breakfast: She'll eat baby wheat cereal mixed with pureed pear or yoghurt. I'm trying to get her to eat muesli/ something that isn't baby food, but not having the greatest success.

Lunch: Sometimes just a banana. Other times scrambled egg on toast, or she'll pick at things like frozen peas (she loves them), sultanas, and soy-lin bread.

Dinner: Erghh... Sometimes scrambled egg. Sometimes spaghetti bolognese. Sometimes just a yoghurt. She'll reliably eat the Heinz 1-3yr old tinned foods, but I want her to eat 'real' food so don't like offering those very often.

Snacks: Cheese, sultanas, banana, rusks, milk.

If she doesn't eat her dinner then I don't usually offer her an alternative, but I do give her yoghurt. I know that may be reinforcing the 'not eating' thing, but I'm worried about her having no nutrition at all, and also waking up hungry.

I just don't know how to get her to try new things. She's average weight, so she's not starving, but I worry about her health. I keep reading things about children's food preferences being 'set' in early life, which makes me think I will end up with a child with eating / weight problems or nutritional deficiencies!

She seems to want to eat 'baby' food, but she has most of her teeth, and I don't know how to get her to eat things she has to chew more. Dinner is the worst meal, as she's normally tired and not keen to eat at all.

Anyone have any advice? What does your 18mth old eat?

Feeling extra sad, after just having another dinner rejected, and a DD put to bed with no food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump!

Anyone? No one with fussy toddlers...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's so disheartening when they don't eat. DD is 15 months but very similar. She went totally off her food in the last 2 months. We do have a few sure fire winners:

Pasta
    Vegetable soup (make a big batch and freeze)
    Banana
    Yoghurt (with bribery)

I keep getting told its a phase though so fingers crossed for us both!

**Coming to you live from my iPhone**

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nerdgirl99 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

inkognito is offline Moving on is simple, its what you leave behind which makes it hard
    Thanks
    Reviews
    try not to stress about it i know easier said than done, I dont really have alot of advice but he one thing that stood out to me was

She seems to want to eat 'baby' food, but she has most of her teeth, and I don't know how to get her to eat things she has to chew more. Dinner is the worst meal, as she's normally tired and not keen to eat at all.

could you maybe try to give her dinner at lunch time and something lighter at night before bed?

DS was a bugger at dinner time because he was tired, but now he has is main meal after his 11-1 nap and then has something light at dinner time and he eats more because he not so grumpy and tired

you said she likes the 1-3 yr baby foods, have you tried to make the same thing up yourself at home, A friend used to keep an empty babyfood jar that she would fill with home made stuff and her DD would eat it because she thought it was the jar stuff

good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inkognito For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't have a fussy toddler but does she eat what you guys eat , I mean do you eat together at the table, usually they want what you have , would she eat food off your plate maybe? It's great she eats some good things like peas, would she eat a homemade fried rice with peas maybe - you could add eggs, bit of chicken etc or just try offering the food she likes but try it different ways? Sorry I'm not much help!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This could be written by me!
    My 19 month old son lives off rice and yogurt. He will also eat a bit of chicken, cruskits, other dry biscuits, and raffertys fruit pouches. No veges, no fresh fruit. It is so depressing to cook meals and have them go to waste, and to have to chase him around the house to get one spoonful in. And at the same time trying to get a fussy 3 year old to eat too. It gets to the point where you stop trying and just give him rice for dinner, because otherwise he'll wake up all night hungry.
    It is affecting my childs growth - he has dropped to the 3rd percentile for weight, and fallen below the 0 percentile for height (though 90th for head so we are good there!!)
    This week I have started a vitamin supplement syringed into his mouth to try and get a bit more balance.
    Mine is happy to chew once you can get some food past his no no no cries. I like strips of chicken and lamb cutlets that he can have a good gnaw on (but so sad when this expensive meat is just thrown on the floor like tonight...sigh). Dry cereal is also quite fun for chewing eg cherios or special k is a hit here.
    I have no real advice as you can see I am in the same boat.
    Hope things improve soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mytwowilldo For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't have a fussy toddler but does she eat what you guys eat , I mean do you eat together at the table, usually they want what you have , would she eat food off your plate maybe? It's great she eats some good things like peas, would she eat a homemade fried rice with peas maybe - you could add eggs, bit of chicken etc or just try offering the food she likes but try it different ways? Sorry I'm not much help!
    I've found DS more compliant with his food when he eats with us. There aren't any intolerances that are affecting her?
    My DS's definite hits are scrambled eggs (or omelettes - a sneaky way to get some veg in!), french toast, spaghetti, actually pretty much any pasta - have you tried doing creamy based pasta dishes instead of tomato based? soups are also really good, because they're pretty filling and he gets to "dip dip" some bread into the soup - he'll eat minestrone, pumpkin or chicken and sweetcorn.

When DS was refusing to eat his dinners we used to just serve him his food, and after he's thrown it all on the floor we'd give him his yoghurt, he then would have his bath, some of his bottle and then we'd give him some toast to get him through the night and then he would finish his bottle and go to sleep

sorry I'm not much help! hope you find something!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is very similar - so I don't really have any answers sorry, but I feel your pain. What I find frustrating is when I make something new for her and she throws it straight at the floor without even trying it! Grrrr. And the more I try and persist with it, the more adamant she gets that it will not go in her mouth. Stubborn child.
    All I'm doing is just keep offering a variety. Hopefully they might gradually expand their diet. Hopefully...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DelGirl For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try porridge for breakfast or muesli mixed with yoghurt (start with more yoghurt than muesli then build up over time). For dinner maybe try some chicken vegi nuggets, home made beef vegi sausage rolls, meatballs with veggies in them. You could serve these things with tezziki dipping sauce or something similar. Good luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to larlee For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    J is a fuss pop, always has been.

If its full of carbs he'll eat it, if not forget it. Smashed veggies are the fave & fish at the moment.

He's always been interested in what DH & I eat, so thats what he gets. Put half of his serve on his plate & half on one of ours, when plates get to the table, he asks for some of ours which is actually his

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-12-2011)