+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Polished conrete

Does anyone have it? We're looking at making our downstairs (except for two bedrooms) all polished concrete but I wanted to get an idea of any problems anyone has had?

If you have it did you polish from the slap or did you add a topping?

Apparently there is a Boral product that is essentially direct lay without the need to polish - I don't suppose anyone has used it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, but family members have it. Don't know how it was done or anything, but while it looks great, it's extremely slippery when wet. Maybe the product you're looking at isn't, but thought I would mention it so you can ask if you like.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours is coloured concrete, hand-trowel finish, and acrylic sealer. No particular problems. The desk chair appears to abraded a bit of the finish so we'll need to tidy up that bit in the future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls

Californication - one of the areas we're looking at getting done is internal courtyard that will get wet so we will have to look at anti-slip I think. Slipping over on concrete would not be fun!

Felicita - thanks for that. Am googling now Do you like the look of the finish?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with colored concrete rather than polished in a wet area. You can seal it with a sand type lacquer which gives the same look but walking on it would be like walking on sandpaper (or so says my concretor dh). He says he recommends against polished in any wet area. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad so pardon the errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rae81 View Post
    Go with colored concrete rather than polished in a wet area. You can seal it with a sand type lacquer which gives the same look but walking on it would be like walking on sandpaper (or so says my concretor dh). He says he recommends against polished in any wet area. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad so pardon the errors!
    Thanks Rae and DH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, we like the look of the finish (coloured concrete with acrylic sealer). It's not a flat colour like paint, but varies lighter and darker, which is part of what we were after.

For an area outside that gets wet we have a broom finish (instead of hand-trowel), so didn't need gritty sealer for non-slip. Just make sure your builder/concreter has the brains to put the broom finish in the right place, and not 50 cm too far to the left like the idiots that did our place.

We chose the colour from here http://www.concretecoloursystems.com...orGreyConcrete
    Our floor colour is "Biscuit", and a busload of people who visited on an Eco-Homes tour thought we had a poured earth floor and wondered how we solved the problems that the owners of the house they'd just visited were having with poured earth.
    Last edited by felicita; 20-12-2011 at 06:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you - that link was very informative.

I'm quite excited about a polished concrete floor!