+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I'm getting a tummy tuck!

I am soooo excited I am going to get a tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty).

I have to wait a year though for my health insurance to kick in... so in that time I want to gather as much info as I can and hear stories from others who have had this surgery.

At this stage I am looking at Dr Paul Belt in Brisbane as my GP recommended him. Has anyone heard of him/been to him etc.??

I am also getting corrective jaw surgery which means 2 years of braces - but I am glad I am finally getting these 2 surgeries done. Very scared tough...

Can anyone share ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No experience but can i say... JEALOUS!!! I am ttc what will be my last baby, after that I'm hoping for a tuck too! Hope it well for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

laurea  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't comment on the mummy tuck but what corrective jaw surgery are you getting. I've had a surgically assisted rapid maxillary expansion, 3 piece le forte 1, bilateral sagital split osteotomy and genioplasty.
    3 years of braces and 2 surgeries, lots of pain but I'm soo glad I've had it done. Not only will I avoid many root canals hopefully, I can eat properly and I'm not embarrassed to smile!!
    Good luck and if it's similar surg feel free to ask any questions you like!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh really?? I am booked in to see my Maxillofacial Surgeon in March.. I have started the orthodontist stuff, you know the moulds etc. Getting x-rays next week to see if I need upper and lower surgery or just lower. I have an underbite.

I really won't know the ins and outs until I see him though, but I am excited and also really nervous!

I would love to chat to you about it though - where did you have it done??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I haven't had a tummy tuck but i am planning to have one as soon as possible, just need to get my referral and go from there.
    I would love to hear how everything goes once you have the surgery.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I haven't had a tummy tuck but i am planning to have one as soon as possible, just need to get my referral and go from there.
    I would love to hear how everything goes once you have the surgery.
    Yeah I was planning on getting mine earlier because I thought it wasn't covered on health insurance - turns out the hospital stay is and I need insurance for my other surgery anyway so figured I'll wait the year out... I will be booking in for Dec next year.... Which is good cos I do have about 6kg I'd like to lose ... plenty of time to get my body in peak condition.

I'm soooo excited If you get yours done before then make sure you share

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

laurea  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Oh really?? I am booked in to see my Maxillofacial Surgeon in March.. I have started the orthodontist stuff, you know the moulds etc. Getting x-rays next week to see if I need upper and lower surgery or just lower. I have an underbite.

I really won't know the ins and outs until I see him though, but I am excited and also really nervous!

I would love to chat to you about it though - where did you have it done??
    I'm in Perth so had it done. Saw 3 max fax surgeons in total, first one scared the begeebers out of me when I was 14 and I was dead against it until I turned 19 and realized the problems weren't going to fix themselves. Funny huh!!
    Then I saw a lovely lady who did my expansion surgery and removed my wisdoms but after that she basically freaked and decided that the rest of my surgeries were too complex for her!! So I saw another and he was wonderful. Really knowledgable and knew how to make me feel relaxed.
    I had an underbite but my lower jaw was angled wrong as was my upper so only my molars touched and I had about a 1cm open bite as well.
    I get migraines and the surgery triggered them off and I had loads of problems after with them from the minute I woke up which is what made it so bad but I've been told I'm weird and that's not a normal occurrence post op.
    The X-rays should give you a bit of an idea but I've learnt over the whole process that all surgeons do things slightly differently so my plans changed slightly with each surgeon I saw.
    It's a long process and 4 years post op I've just had my final appointment with my surgeon which was only an annual visit but still, over 10 years since I was told I needed surgery.
    Have they given you an indication of how long pre op you will need braces??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I'm in Perth so had it done. Saw 3 max fax surgeons in total, first one scared the begeebers out of me when I was 14 and I was dead against it until I turned 19 and realized the problems weren't going to fix themselves. Funny huh!!
    Then I saw a lovely lady who did my expansion surgery and removed my wisdoms but after that she basically freaked and decided that the rest of my surgeries were too complex for her!! So I saw another and he was wonderful. Really knowledgable and knew how to make me feel relaxed.
    I had an underbite but my lower jaw was angled wrong as was my upper so only my molars touched and I had about a 1cm open bite as well.
    I get migraines and the surgery triggered them off and I had loads of problems after with them from the minute I woke up which is what made it so bad but I've been told I'm weird and that's not a normal occurrence post op.
    The X-rays should give you a bit of an idea but I've learnt over the whole process that all surgeons do things slightly differently so my plans changed slightly with each surgeon I saw.
    It's a long process and 4 years post op I've just had my final appointment with my surgeon which was only an annual visit but still, over 10 years since I was told I needed surgery.
    Have they given you an indication of how long pre op you will need braces??
    Well my ortho has said 14 months before and then 10 months of them after surgery. I think that is like a standard time frame he uses though... I'm sure that it is more case by case once they see what's happening with my teeth??

I didn't even realise I would need braces... just thought I could have the surgery - so I was a bit disappointed about the length of time it takes to achieve the desired result - but I guess at least now I will have perfectly straight teeth too. I'm not looking forward to wearing braces for 2 years, which I know sounds so vain... but oh well. I am getting ceramic up the top and metal on the bottom.

How did you go wearing braces?? Could you eat normally etc.?? Do you have any before/after pics or know of any good forums?? Thanks heaps for chatting about it hey - I don't know a single person that has had this type of surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm sure that it'd be a bit of case by case but he should know more post X-rays and your max fax should be able to give you a better idea. I had them for 3 years from 19-22 which was a fair bit embarrassing but I hated my teeth so much it was only a little problem. I think I hated it more because before getting braces I would get asked if I was 25 or so and once I got them everyone thought I was younger that I was. I think as an adult it wouldn't be quite so bad. And the time goes fairly quickly, 2 years isn't that long. I had ceramic uppers and metal lowers to but I also had some metal brackets on my upper teeth for the expander I had post surgery.
    When you get the braces brace yourself for a week of some pain but mostly discomfort. You'll get used to it fairly quick. Get some bonjella and panadol and you'll be ok. Soft foods for a week or so but you might surprise yourself how quick it passes.
    I have great before and after pics but not on my phone, will post them when I get access to my computer.
    I can remember going on forums pre-op but I can't from the life of me remember what they were called. Just google jaw surgery forums and you should come up with something but there mostly American from what I remember but they didn't mind me joining.
    It's a big thing but worth it. People who I've only known a few years get spun out that I've got 9 plates and 26 screws in my face cos they couldn't guess!!
    Hope you get a fair bit back from your private cover, that's one thing I remember well is that it was not cheap!!
    Happy to answer any other questions. I didn't know anyone who'd had similar surgery either, still don't, so if I can help I'd be happy to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I'm getting a tummy tuck!

Bump!!! How did it all go???? Would love to hear all about your recovery and results!!! Hope it's all going well :-)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pooks For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-03-2015)