+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Did u know if u have the everyday rewards going to frequent flyers you can opt for them to send you a gift card every quarter with the value depending on your points. Last quarter we got a $25. Not much but for just buying groceries seems great to me
    That is pretty good. Though DF does just drive me crazy 'chasing' points I like it of I just get a gift card for doing my normal shop

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also if you have an everyday rewards card remember to check the email they send you and check out the site every now and then.

I won a $500 wish gift card just by clicking the *enter* button on the bottom of an email they sent me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No big deal.
    People who buy alcohol drive cars. Doesn't mean they are driving and drinking.
    Buying 2 cases of beer doesnt make you an alcoholic.

What's the issue again?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the discounts in the world cant pursuade me to go to Caltex/Shell. Im a single mum on a tight budget, but when it comes to standing up for the underdog, Im all for it!
    I go to the United instead. They're quite reasonable with their petrol prices.

As for groceries, I do go to the big supermarkets but have recently changed to fresher and cheaper options for perishables. I found the local butcher is cheaper and much much better quality meats, Farmers Direct has cheaper and fresher fruit, veggies and juice, and Bakers Delight has the best bread for DS.
    So all I get at the supermarkets now are things like milk, yoghurt, cleaning aids, snack foods and some other items. Just no perishables anymore except for milk.

I dont drink alcohol anyway, so the 30 cents discounts will never happen to me. So yes, I too would like a discount on my groceries instead.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

babycake  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't really see a problem here... Most people this time of year are going to parties/BBQs or whatever and alcohol is consumed.... To get to where u are going u need to buy fuel to drive your car so to do both and get a saving at the end of it is pritty good....even if it's only a dollar it's better in my pocket than theirs... I don't see the link between alcoholics and struggling families tho?! Just cos df may buy 2 cases instead of one to save on fuel and go a longer time before buying another doesn't mean he is an alco

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do agree buying a few cases of beer at xmas time doesn't make you an alcoholic. But I do kind of get where the OP is coming from. The usual 4c a litre is only about $2.50 off a tank, but 30c is about $20. For a struggling family that can't afford alcohol but of course does a food shop, that $20 could make all the difference.

I don't so much see a problem with the 30c a L off from the booze, but they should put it on groceries too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The supermarkets are playing the game very well. They know that families will always buy groceries, but alcohol is somewhat more of a luxury. I agree with the PP - supermarkets are trying to make profits, it's not their job to extend sympathy to struggling families, they are not linked with welfare groups.

OP, I do understand that you were angry when you started this topic (perhaps not the best idea to post in a bad mood), but there will be a lot of people who take offence to being called alcoholics by implication. FTR, I absolutely despise drink driving - and I would object if the supermarkets consistently offered the fuel/alcohol linked discount. But I see no problem with them offering this discount around Christmas time. We will be at a large Christmas party this year, lots of people to provide food and beverage for - and we are all spending the night. I don't see a problem in this case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yeah I dunno what kinda cars u guys are driving but If i had a 30c discount off id be easy saving $20-$30 at a fuel up. But none the less im not about to go buy the beer just to get that mony off.. that kinda makes the saving redundant doesn't it? buying something you wouldnt other wise buy at a higher cost to what you'd save...

... besides that if we're buying alcohol and fuel chances are we're adults and as such can make up our own minds and I would hope smart enough to realise this isnt an invite to drink and drive... infact i dont know ANYONE who'd think that its just dumb...

.. big corporations aren't here to babysit us and make sure the poor folk have enough $$ over the festive season, they're here to make sure people that would be buying fuel and alcohol anyway buy them both at one franchise instead of going to coles for one and woolies for another. Get over it people they aren't here to nanny you. Look after yourselves and stop expecting people to look after you for once.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (17-12-2011),Guest1234  (17-12-2011),mattsmel  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    haha obviously a smaller car than yours - I pay $40 FOR a fuel up
    oh gosh LOL wanna swap?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My previous car was $40 on premium a week - now I have a V6... but I don't pay for anything but fuel, so I can't complain much