+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    If you buy your fruit and veges from a farmers market or green grocer and meat from a butcher and your other groceries from independent supermarket you will save so much more money. That money that you save can then be spent to buy your fuel at an independent Petrol station. I am so sick of watching the big guys have a monopoly when they sell rubbish quality at a higher price.
    Don't buy into these gimmicks the only people who win are Coles and Woolies.
    This only works if you have access to those services. I live in Townsville and while we go to the rotary markets for most f our fruit and vege and on occasion we can buy our meat from a local farmer at a good price, the independent grocers are generally more expensive. We did our normal shop at IGA and it was $60 more expensive and I just do not have that extra cash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's just an incentive to buy liquor at woollies/Safeway as opposed to Dan Murphy's etc - nothing to de with rewarding behavior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The people that get the discount would of been buying a cartoon or 2 of beer anyway, they would just think to buy it at the same time instead of one for xmas then coming back to get one for new years.

You dont go into the bottle shop and think "oh you know what ill buy this second carton, worth about $30, so i can save 30c next time i get petrol!"

I use my petrol discount when i use those petrol stations. I got a statement via email recently saying in the past few months ive saved $10. I fill my car up once or twice a week! The fuel saving you get is nothing.

If you buy your fruit and veges from a farmers market or green grocer and meat from a butcher and your other groceries from independent supermarket you will save so much more money.
    I disagree. The fruit and veges we get from the farmers markets are cheaper, but the butcher and the independent grocery store is double the price compared to the other supermarkets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would save approx $21 if I filled up with the 30c off voucher... But I don't need the beer - however, family are doing the Christmas shop... Hmm...

Thank for the heads up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    It's just an incentive to buy liquor at woollies/Safeway as opposed to Dan Murphy's etc - nothing to de with rewarding behavior.
    Just so you know woolworths owns Dan murphys

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (17-12-2011)

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey confusd, I guess it depends where you live. I have a great butcher near me who does great meat for approx 1/3 less than the supermarkets and it is way better quality. I can also buy exactly what I want, If I want 4 sausages I can but 4 sausages if I want 350grams of mince and not 500 I can buy just that.
    With groceries it depends what you buy. I use very little prepackaged stuff as I make a lot of things from scratch so things like flour, butter, pasta can all be found cheaply at independents. I get where you are coming from though I guess if you did a meg big shop it would get a little crazy.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    This only works if you have access to those services. I live in Townsville and while we go to the rotary markets for most f our fruit and vege and on occasion we can buy our meat from a local farmer at a good price, the independent grocers are generally more expensive. We did our normal shop at IGA and it was $60 more expensive and I just do not have that extra cash.
    Fair call. I guess I am lucky where I live. I have access to great stores. I stand corrected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Just so you know woolworths owns Dan murphys
    Whoops - ok so Coles competes against the Woolies/BWS/Dan Murphy's conglomerate. Anyway, my unresearched point was that it has nothing to do with rewarding alcoholics or encouraging people to get drunk and everything to do with marketing and capturing the market

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hey confusd, I guess it depends where you live. I have a great butcher near me who does great meat for approx 1/3 less than the supermarkets and it is way better quality. I can also buy exactly what I want, If I want 4 sausages I can but 4 sausages if I want 350grams of mince and not 500 I can buy just that.
    With groceries it depends what you buy. I use very little prepackaged stuff as I make a lot of things from scratch so things like flour, butter, pasta can all be found cheaply at independents. I get where you are coming from though I guess if you did a meg big shop it would get a little crazy.
    I cook about 90% of what we eat from scratch and cannot afford an independent grocer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did u know if u have the everyday rewards going to frequent flyers you can opt for them to send you a gift card every quarter with the value depending on your points. Last quarter we got a $25. Not much but for just buying groceries seems great to me