+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    If you buy your fruit and veges from a farmers market or green grocer and meat from a butcher and your other groceries from independent supermarket you will save so much more money. That money that you save can then be spent to buy your fuel at an independent Petrol station. I am so sick of watching the big guys have a monopoly when they sell rubbish quality at a higher price.
    Don't buy into these gimmicks the only people who win are Coles and Woolies.
    This only works if you have access to those services. I live in Townsville and while we go to the rotary markets for most f our fruit and vege and on occasion we can buy our meat from a local farmer at a good price, the independent grocers are generally more expensive. We did our normal shop at IGA and it was $60 more expensive and I just do not have that extra cash.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    497
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's just an incentive to buy liquor at woollies/Safeway as opposed to Dan Murphy's etc - nothing to de with rewarding behavior.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near the ocean
    Posts
    4,834
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    270
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The people that get the discount would of been buying a cartoon or 2 of beer anyway, they would just think to buy it at the same time instead of one for xmas then coming back to get one for new years.

    You dont go into the bottle shop and think "oh you know what ill buy this second carton, worth about $30, so i can save 30c next time i get petrol!"

    I use my petrol discount when i use those petrol stations. I got a statement via email recently saying in the past few months ive saved $10. I fill my car up once or twice a week! The fuel saving you get is nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    If you buy your fruit and veges from a farmers market or green grocer and meat from a butcher and your other groceries from independent supermarket you will save so much more money.
    I disagree. The fruit and veges we get from the farmers markets are cheaper, but the butcher and the independent grocery store is double the price compared to the other supermarkets.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,115
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    458
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would save approx $21 if I filled up with the 30c off voucher... But I don't need the beer - however, family are doing the Christmas shop... Hmm...

    Thank for the heads up

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked
    167
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    It's just an incentive to buy liquor at woollies/Safeway as opposed to Dan Murphy's etc - nothing to de with rewarding behavior.
    Just so you know woolworths owns Dan murphys

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

    Hannahly  (17-12-2011)

  7. #26
    babycake's Avatar
    babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    565
    Thanks
    721
    Thanked
    329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey confusd, I guess it depends where you live. I have a great butcher near me who does great meat for approx 1/3 less than the supermarkets and it is way better quality. I can also buy exactly what I want, If I want 4 sausages I can but 4 sausages if I want 350grams of mince and not 500 I can buy just that.
    With groceries it depends what you buy. I use very little prepackaged stuff as I make a lot of things from scratch so things like flour, butter, pasta can all be found cheaply at independents. I get where you are coming from though I guess if you did a meg big shop it would get a little crazy.

  8. #27
    babycake's Avatar
    babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    565
    Thanks
    721
    Thanked
    329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    This only works if you have access to those services. I live in Townsville and while we go to the rotary markets for most f our fruit and vege and on occasion we can buy our meat from a local farmer at a good price, the independent grocers are generally more expensive. We did our normal shop at IGA and it was $60 more expensive and I just do not have that extra cash.
    Fair call. I guess I am lucky where I live. I have access to great stores. I stand corrected.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    497
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Just so you know woolworths owns Dan murphys
    Whoops - ok so Coles competes against the Woolies/BWS/Dan Murphy's conglomerate. Anyway, my unresearched point was that it has nothing to do with rewarding alcoholics or encouraging people to get drunk and everything to do with marketing and capturing the market

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    Hey confusd, I guess it depends where you live. I have a great butcher near me who does great meat for approx 1/3 less than the supermarkets and it is way better quality. I can also buy exactly what I want, If I want 4 sausages I can but 4 sausages if I want 350grams of mince and not 500 I can buy just that.
    With groceries it depends what you buy. I use very little prepackaged stuff as I make a lot of things from scratch so things like flour, butter, pasta can all be found cheaply at independents. I get where you are coming from though I guess if you did a meg big shop it would get a little crazy.
    I cook about 90% of what we eat from scratch and cannot afford an independent grocer.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked
    167
    Reviews
    0
    Did u know if u have the everyday rewards going to frequent flyers you can opt for them to send you a gift card every quarter with the value depending on your points. Last quarter we got a $25. Not much but for just buying groceries seems great to me


 

Similar Threads

  1. Reward chart
    By Jensha in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-06-2012, 10:28
  2. reward charts
    By jennibear in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-04-2012, 12:25
  3. New Preprep teacher & reward charts at kindy
    By MummysYellowCar in forum Discipline & behaviour
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-03-2012, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting Education
Providing private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their own home. Sessions are flexible, including everything that hospital based programs cover. Click to find out more!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!