+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lets reward the alcoholics..

And let struggling families suffer!

I might be in a bad mood and that may be a bit harsh but I just read a news article and thought why such big rewards for buying alcohol and not for groceries. The other week you had to spend $150 on groceries to get a 10c petrol discount
    Voucher, yet you can buy 2 cartoons of beer $66 and you 30c off voucher. This was the article----

A PRE-CHRISTMAS fuel price war between Coles and Woolworths could sink independent service stations already battling to survive.

After discounting 20c a litre from the cost of fuel for customers who buy two cartons of beer for at least $66, Woolworths-owned bottleshops BWS now have raised the stakes to 30c a litre.

It follows an offer from Coles Express for a 25c a litre discount for buying two cartons of beer totalling $58.

The raging price war has been slammed by the Motor Trades Association of Queensland, which has complained to the consumer watchdog.

MTAQ policy director Richard Payne said they mostly were concerned about the impact on independent service stations who could not hope to match such big discounts.

“In the last 40 years the number of service stations in Australia has gone from 22,000 to 5200,” Mr Payne said. “That was largely because of the influence of the Coles-Shell, Woolworths-Caltex alliances that now have 62 per cent of the market.”

He said another concern was the irresponsible nature of the promotion.

“Associating fuel with liquor is a volatile mix that sends the wrong message to motorists,” Mr Payne said.

“At this time of year, we should be doing everything we can to deter people from drinking and driving.”

Paul Turner from Queensland’s peak motoring body, RACQ, said the offer really did not represent a great discount for motorists.

“At the end of the day, shoppers will pay one way or another,” Mr Turner said.

“They should look to shop smart purely on the fuel price itself and not get caught up in deals.”

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ..all I am going to say is not all people who consume alcohol are alcoholics.
    I don't really know much about how the whole fuel voucher thing works so can't comment on that.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (17-12-2011),Gandalf  (17-12-2011),jagamoe  (17-12-2011),Jakois  (17-12-2011),lillytheo  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I boycott the supermarket affiliated petrol stations. I'm not bothered by the drinking connection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh please. Dramatic enough? You're suffering because of fuel vouchers and all people who buy alcohol are alcoholics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    ..all I am going to say is not all people who consume alcohol are alcoholics.
    I don't really know much about how the whole fuel voucher thing works so can't comment on that.
    No but If you can afford two cartons of beer you can afford your petrol.
    I know struggling families that cant afford petrol and are even struggling to buy food so that discount would be a great help at this time of year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    I boycott the supermarket affiliated petrol stations. I'm not bothered by the drinking connection.
    I am the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Oh please. Dramatic enough? You're suffering because of fuel vouchers and all people who buy alcohol are alcoholics?
    No I'm not suffering actually but have friends that are!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    I don't use them either but some people don't have a choice.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another price war thank goodness for the consumer watch dog too.

Face it the majority of australians take the kids on holidays & drink some beer at a gathering over Xmas holidays. They're just trying to get the monopoly of the market and make $$$.

This voucher will not encourage drink drive it's just nonsense.

But yep I'd prefer a massive discount on food instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKLandmaybeMN View Post
    No but If you can afford two cartons of beer you can afford your petrol.
    I know struggling families that cant afford petrol and are even struggling to buy food so that discount would be a great help at this time of year.
    Sorry, but that is a broad generalization. Someone could save for weeks or months to just be able to buy a carton of beer or two. I could say people who can buy chocolate, coke, cigarettes, chips etc can afford to pay for their petrol. Fact is you just don't know what people can and can't afford just by looking at what they are buying.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Eleven Eleven  (17-12-2011),elleandsam  (17-12-2011),lillytheo  (17-12-2011),tatia&shura  (17-12-2011)