+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default To stop over or not to stop over

i'm returning to the UK by myself with a six month old and a three year old. We're going via Dubai. I can't decide if it's better to stop over for a day to rest between flights, 16 then 8 hour flights, or go straight through. Any ideas? And any recommendations for iPad apps to keep a 3 years old happy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't stop... Once you're in transit it's best to plough through. Download some favourite tv episodes to your iPad thru iTunes. I'm a fan of all duck duck goose applications too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I can collapse once I'm back in London. I probably don't want to be stabling round Dubai with two messy tired children by myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One option is to stop and have a rest at the hotel within the Dubai airport.

Your checked in luggage can go straight through to the UK on a long transfer so no need to re-check luggage in etc.

We did this last time we flew to the UK with an 18 mth old. We liked breaking up the trip, having a shower and a proper rest before continuing on.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally prefer to break it up. I'm going over next year and I'll be stopping in Dubai for a night or two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would advise a stop over definitely, especially with a baby and a toddler. If your anything like me, I would be stressing the whole time on the plane so that break in between be like a reboot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I can collapse once I'm back in London. I probably don't want to be stabling round Dubai with two messy tired children by myself.
    Yeah. I'm a deal with the plane ride and collapse when you get to the other end type person. I have been on flights a few times where we have been delayed in transit (once for two nights) and I hated it. Your just hanging around, you can't start readjusting cause you are neither in home time zone or new time zone, just a different one, and I also find the whole getting in and out of airports (customs/taxis/hotel checkins) just as exhausting as moving on. Plus it cuts into what would otherwise be destination holiday time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Don't stop... Once you're in transit it's best to plough through. Download some favourite tv episodes to your iPad thru iTunes. I'm a fan of all duck duck goose applications too.
    I agree. Just go auto pilot for the plane ride and collaspe at the other end!
    And I agree with the duck duck
    Goose. New playschool app. Doodle buddy or similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh, flashback! Had completely forgotten than we were delayed last time and they put us up in a hotel overnight on the way back from Canada. Must remember to pack more in my carry on this time in case that happens again. Off to look up duck duck goose...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely plough through the whole thing in one go! We went back to the uk when dd was 7 months (dh family is there) and only stopped for a few hours, had a shower to refresh and then straight back on the plane! To be honest, If I spent the day/ night anywhere before the next leg I'm not sure I'd get back on the plane!! I just like to get it over and done with and then relax when you get there!!