+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you store your LEGO?

Please help me with info on how you store your child's LEGO collection. As a child Mum had a big circle of fabric with cord around it that we could open out flat and store all the LEGO in it. We had a big collection so finding a particular type of piece was often a big challenge. Mum said she did keep a book with all the instructions of all the kits we'd bought & she said that was a great thing that we liked.

But, LEGO is now so much more than bricks, wheels & minifigures. My ds's LEGO collection has just begun and we have started with an Advent Calendar which is great, but it comes with all these non-standard type blocks/minifigures/small parts. I'm not sure how to store them. Should we store the things made up, or insist on them being broken up? As it's an Advent Calendar for now the pieces are all made up & on a baseboard for display, but I don't want to leave his LEGO on display permanently.

So all suggestions on how you manage to keep your LEGO collection organised, but accessible would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We still haven't worked it out tbh. We have the fabric with cord thing from DHs childhood, with a whole lot of mixed stuff. The few kits we have bought have been mixed in after being made. But friends have had their ds keep e made up sets on a shelf (his choice), till they moved house and they all broke lol. And now their ds doesn't care, which I must admit made me a bit wary of buying too much, as they eventually get over it.
    In my mind Lego is about ebing creative, so if they make up the sets once and sit them on a shelf it is not getting as much out of it as they could. I would buy minimal sets and let them be made and broken until they get sick of that set, at which point it goes into the bag with all the rest. Or into one of those cool Lego heads that sort the sizes. The advent calendar I would put away and brings out each year at Xmas time only. They look so cool.... Was it the star wars one? Also with mini figures you can buy display cases just for them at myer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    WE have the zip out box that completed models get put into. They are all a bit broken up at the moment. We also had a small container that all the little 'bits' that fell off/ broken up went into. We have the advent calendar too and I am not sure what we will do with it after. I will be buying a big road mat to put in DS's room and he can have the airport he is getting for christmas around that. I imagine he will then have the helicopters atthe airport etc.
    On amazon you can get cases that stack that the completed lego bits go in. I don't think they ship here though.

WE do keep a ring binder with clear sheets that all the instructions go into. So handy.

munchkin05 is offline just me, my boy and my baby bump
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a Lego table which DS can leave the stuff he has made on top and it has a draw on the side to store all te other pieces
    Before that we just used a plastic storage box but the table is so much nicer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    We have one of the lego tables as well. We've also got one of the lego heads that you can store and sort pieces in as well as another plastic storage container full of lego. I can't be bothered keeping the sets seperate so they all get mixed up with the rest.

I have a friend who stores all her sons sets in ziplock bags. Then stores those in those plastic drawers that you can buy from junk shops. She seperates all the instruction books and puts them in a ring binder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were kids my brother was into Lego massively and his was stored in a blue storage crate. Anything he made usually sat on top of the crate so it did not get broken. My nephew (same brother's son) is now 5 and into Lego hugely (which my brother loves as he gets to play with it) and nephew uses the same blue crate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 9yo has ridiculous amounts of lego, we are talking thousands...

i bought the cheap plastic drawer sets on wheels from big w, they stack up 3-4 high and are a clear see thru plastic.

i sort it by color - grey box, white box, black etc. it makes it soo much easier when trying to sort and when finding pieces to build with as we have kept all the instruction books.

yes, i do have ocd.....but my 9yo son keeps it all sorted and packed away properly because that has been the rule from the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    my 9yo has ridiculous amounts of lego, we are talking thousands...

i bought the cheap plastic drawer sets on wheels from big w, they stack up 3-4 high and are a clear see thru plastic.

i sort it by color - grey box, white box, black etc. it makes it soo much easier when trying to sort and when finding pieces to build with as we have kept all the instruction books.

yes, i do have ocd.....but my 9yo son keeps it all sorted and packed away properly because that has been the rule from the start.
    Check out this blog.

She does something similar to Halloweendee and it looks fantastic.

She also talks about build buckets - for lego creations the kids are working on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

mim1  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymummy View Post
    Check out this blog.

She does something similar to Halloweendee and it looks fantastic.

She also talks about build buckets - for lego creations the kids are working on.
    omg that is it exactly!! except i haven't labelled the drawers as they are transparent. it sounds like a mission sorting it all but once it is done, it's pretty easy to upkeep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Some great ideas there!

So it seems that blocks/etc come out to make up something and pretty quickly (within a day or two at most) you insist they get completely broken up & put back in the drawers/storage system of your choice?

My ds is getting Lego for the first time at Christmas this year (the Advent Calendar is the start of his collection) so it will be a while (I hope) until I can justify the Trofast drawers to the extent of the blog, but we already have that system, it's just used for all sorts of toys like toy cars, trains, wooden train track, duplo (which is just in a big tub unsorted), etc.

I think I'll probably get a Lego head thingie for the bricks to start with (or I'll suggest someone buys it for his Birthday - which is 3 weeks after Christmas) and then use a couple of trofast drawers for the minifigures/other bits & pieces. I can see Lego taking over the play area! Eik!