+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you stay awake during night feeds?

Just after some tips and advice on how you stay awake during nightfeeds. DS is 6 weeks old and is feeding 2-3hourly at the moment and I am really struggling to keep my eyes open during some of the feeds, especially the early morning ones. I am so paranoid that I am going to fall asleep and something bad happen. So any ideas and what works for you would be great! Oh and he is fully BF'd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At that age I was the same, I would go into the lounge room, turn on all the lights and the tv. Yes, I know you are supposed to keep it quiet and dark during night feeds but I was worried about falling asleep with him.

After about 2 months I started feeding him in bed sitting up in the dark as my body adjusted to being up in the middle of the night. Now he is a year old I happily doze with him in the feeding chair.

Before anyone jumps in and says cosleeping is safe etc and you should take bub into bed and fall asleep with them, IT IS safe if you do it safely, and being extremely tired and exhausted is one of the indicators not to cosleep. And I also had other reasons it wasn't safe, as DH is a smoker, etc.

I hope your baby starts sleeping longer at night for you soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Summerwinter  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As someone who was bf my baby and looked down at him and he was blue as my boobie smothered his nose and he couldn't breath I understand you not wanting to fall asleep. Turn the tv on, have a drink, have your partner check on you during a feed. It is very hard those first few months. I hope you can get a bit longer between feeds to keep you going.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 11 weeks today and fed 2 hourly up untill 2 weeks ago , i too really struggled to stay awake. The only thing that kept me going was tellimg myself " ok here we go again but it will be over soon" i talked to myself reminding myself that the freqeuncy will calm down! He still feeds 2 hourly dyring the day but goes to bed at 8 i dream feed him at 11 he wakes at 3 and 5:30 now. Then it starts again at 7! This is the hardest time but a lot changes in the next few weeks.

You are doing a great job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to watch tv. I got lots of tv box sets to get me through the over night feeds.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would either sit up in bed or in a chair next to our bed. I had my bedside lamp on and I would read a book. I read so many good books in those first few months, now I never get time.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I think I am my own worst enemy as I feed him in bed and read on my phone - which isn't the best for my eyes I guess! Will try and get up and turn on the tv and watch infomercials at 3am :-). I have a lovely feeding chair in the lounge I should probably take advantage of!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I played on FB and BH on my iPhone lol! Trying to focus on the screen really helped me stay awake although there were a few times where I did doze off only to wake with a jolt a few seconds later!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cairnsmummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Played on my phone

...though there were times I fell asleep feeding him (breast or bottle !!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me its tv....we got a set top box so we can watch all the digital channels so its Hercules, Xena, Incredible Hulk, Love Boat and all those shows. They actually keep me awake as they go for an hour and I start to get into them again (even if its a 'look at what they are wearing!) kinda thing...but it helps!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post: