+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Question Dilated Kidneys??

At my 18 week morph scan it was noted on my report that bubs kidneys were dilated. Ob decided to send me for another scan (which I had today) to check on bubs (as well as my placenta which is covering my cervix). I am 36 weeks tomorrow. The scan tech said bubs kidneys are still dilated but could be because he had a really full bladder.

I have banned myself from Google as I don't want to freak myself out..but has anyone's baby had this problem and was it resolved by the time they were born?

If the problem hadn't resolved by birth, what happened next? Is it then a long term problem??

Any info/stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    *bump*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hey

hi Summa, my son had dilated kidneys at the morph and late scan. Just make sure they check bubs out when born as they didn't follow up the issue with my son and he got very sick at 3 months old. Basically one of my sons ureters was blocked and he did have corrxtive surgery at 6 months but he is a healthy 12 year old now. Please don't be too concerned as when ds had the problem they told me that quite often there isn't any problem when followed up after birth. Ds was also a very healthy 9 pound and uncomplicated birth.

It will be fine xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to angelbubswithwings For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My bubs kidneys were showing as enlarged at all ultrasounds, so she had to have an ultrasound at 6 weeks to check them. They were normal and no cause for concern.

From what I have heard, it is very common, and I know that there are many people on here who had it noted on their bubs ultrasounds, but I only know of a few who actually had a problem with it. I do know that surgery is one possibility if there is a problem, but it's pretty uncommon I think.

Good luck, and try not to stress

6. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i'm 37 weeks and we were also told at our morph scan and again at 32 week scan that our little girl has one dilated kidney. OB said we will need to follow up with a pediatrician at 6 weeks for an ultrasound. He also said it generally corrects itself.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to slf2205 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my daughter now six months has this. It has not resolved yet. We are having our next scan in a few weeks. I don't know anything about it yet either. I avoid googling medical conditions too! They have given me no information either.. But they DID say it is being picked up increasingly in pregnancy ultrasounds because they like to be aware of it.. Even if they dilation is minor.. I had additional fluid when pregnant which can be related

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thank you all for sharing! Will try to refrain from google and wait to see my ob next week for the scan report. Glad to hear it seems to resolve itself in most cases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son had dilated kidneys, picked up at my morph scan as well. I had scans at 32 and 38 weeks to check on them and they were still dilated, so he had an ultrasound when he was born then again at 3 months.

The big concern was that he could have kidney reflux (where urine refluxes out of the bladder back into the kidneys, which can scar the kidneys if they have a UTI/bladder infection).

We had to take him to the Women's & Children's Hospital at 3 months to have a catheter inserted and they filled his bladder up with dye, then took x-rays to see if it was refluxing back into his kidneys, but thankfully it wasn't.

After another scan at 6 months and 12 months, His pedatrician decided that that was just how he was - he has slightly bigger kidneys than normal, so a good outcome in our case

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    My son had dilated kidneys, picked up at my morph scan as well. I had scans at 32 and 38 weeks to check on them and they were still dilated, so he had an ultrasound when he was born then again at 3 months.

The big concern was that he could have kidney reflux (where urine refluxes out of the bladder back into the kidneys, which can scar the kidneys if they have a UTI/bladder infection).

We had to take him to the Women's & Children's Hospital at 3 months to have a catheter inserted and they filled his bladder up with dye, then took x-rays to see if it was refluxing back into his kidneys, but thankfully it wasn't.

After another scan at 6 months and 12 months, His pedatrician decided that that was just how he was - he has slightly bigger kidneys than normal, so a good outcome in our case
    I had the exact same procedure done when I was like 14. I had kidney reflux but back in mums day they didn't know what was wrong with me till I was 4 and was too late. I'm okay obviously, pregnant and healthy but had surgery. You're baby will be absolutely fine! :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jenrose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thank you for sharing!