+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default What do you cook when you can't be stuffed cooking?

I'm tired, I'm exhausted and I just haven't got it in me tonight. So I went and got McD's- yuck. I hated every bite of it and didn't even finish it. Plus I don't like the idea of the boys eating it (but they seem to think it's pretty awesome.. ) even if it is a once in the blue moon type thing.

I couldn't be bothered chopping, dicing and slicing so I took the 'easy' route... but there has to be something simpler without leaving the house, right?

So what do you have on hand for those nights (like a Friday night near the end of a long school term, when I've been slaving away over reports and school concerts and grade 6 graduation speeches) that you can just grab and cook up, that is also reasonably healthy? (I mean.. not deep frying it in oil is a great start right there, not to mention not covering it all with an over zealous shake of salt..!)

Help me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a stand by tomato pasta sauce I freeze in ice cube trays. Will come back later with the recipe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make tomato pasta.
    1 tin chopped tinned toms
    1/2 chopped onion
    Italian herbs
    1/3 c cream
    Pinch sugar

Sauté onion (can add garlic if you like) in a small amount of olive oil, add herbs, add tinned toms and simmer for 10 mins till slightly reduced. Add cream..
    Stir over spaghetti or other pasta. I serve with rocket salad and garlic bread. Yum and simple and easy. Not sure it's too healthy, but slightly better than junk
    Last edited by RenovatorMum; 16-12-2011 at 17:44.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RenovatorMum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011),tatia&shura  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I buy the ravioli and sauce from the fridge it's use buy is normally a couple of weeks great as you only have to boil it for 5 minutes throw the sauce on and it taste great and better than take away

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaminAus For This Useful Post:

mattsmel  (17-12-2011),Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nigella has a couple of great recipes. Her crustless pizza and corn chowder are so so easy.

Also pasta with pesto from a jar. Add roasted sweet potato cubes and fetta if you can be bothered.

Also a workmate told me about a couple of Donna Hay recipes. One was chicken breasts in a baking tray with haloumi cheese and honey and lemon juice which sounds yum and the other was chicken thighs in a tray, add garlic, sliced chorizo, olives, lemons, White wine and smoked paprika. Cover and bake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not exactly healthy but when I cant be bothered cooking, I usually turn to basic Nachos (CCs, dip, cheese, grill, viola!) or hot dogs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought of another one, I make wedges.
    Cut peeled potatos into wedges or fries, shake in a ziplock back with some plain flour and some all purpose seasoning, then lay on baking tray, spray with oil and bake in oven. Super easy and kids love them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RenovatorMum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And you can't beat beans on toast or a toasted sandwich and can of soup.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here is the tomato sauce recipe

Sauté 1 large finely diced onion and 3 cloves of crushed garlic until soft, add 2 cans of whole tomatoes, 200ml of water and a handful of basil leaves. Simmer for around 40 mins or until reduced and thick. Add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste and then blend with stick blender until smooth.

I freeze in ice cubes trays and then store in a zip lock bag until needed.

It's great just as it is stirred through pasta or as a base for other ingredients. We sometimes fry up some bacon and chilli while pasta is boiling and then add the sauce from the freezer. Yum!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes I send the DH out to the BBQ so I only have to do veg or salad, and sometimes we get take-away. Mainly Thai or a fusion place down here as they are reasonably healthy and DS will eat whatever we have.

I also tend to cook big pots of things like curry and freeze the leftovers that you can just re-heat and cook some rice. Easy peasy and very little effort.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2011)