+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default discipline 15month old

I am lookig for some strategies on how to discipline 15 month old, like when she is touching things she shouldnt or snatching things from people or hitting ect..

Is 15months too young to start some sort of discipline? i dont think she would understand a time out sort of thing...

any suggestions or books you have read on this subject?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really like "The Science of Parenting" (also called "What Every Parent Should Know") and "Playful Parenting" for discipline related advice. IMO 15 months is too young for conventional discipline and at that age you should still focus on making things inaccessible and distraction. I think it's good to explain to bub why you don't want her to do something and suggest/ model an alternative but don't expect too much of her in terms of impulse control or use punishments.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say things like, no, ouch, hot etc then distract or remove her from the situation. She is way too young for punishment or discipline. JMO.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you. i agree that she is too young to hand out punishment. i have tried with saying no, dont touch, be gentle but she doesnt really take much notice. Just wanted to see if anyone else did anything different that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing as I'm in the same boat!! sorry I can't help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 15 month old and it's hard. He is my 3rd so I know that repition will eventually do the trick. every time bub does something you don't want them to, say no firmly and gently redirect them. you might need to do this A LOT but it will eventually stick. its an age that you need to ride out, really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
    I have a 15 month old and it's hard. He is my 3rd so I know that repition will eventually do the trick. every time bub does something you don't want them to, say no firmly and gently redirect them. you might need to do this A LOT but it will eventually stick. its an age that you need to ride out, really.
    with this.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and Aha Parenting is a great resource that you might get a lot from. I love it! It's clearly broken down into advice for different ages

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with repetition. DS was a hitter and snatcher around that age. I would just grab his arm (gently) as he was about to hit and say a firm "No" while looking him in the eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
    Lol sound advice.

Of the ages & stages with jasper I found newborn hardest, followed closely by that sort of 14-20 months age. Starting to express himself but can't really talk, getting very mobile, can climb & touch EVERYTHING (even things he CAN'T ), he didn't do 'terrible twos' he did a bit of a 'difficult toddler' patch instead.

But yeah, firm 'no' or 'stop' & distract or redirect.

Also we just baby proofed our place up the wa-zoo, so there was practically nothing he couldn't touch in his environment.

But it's hard when at the shops, visiting, etc also at that age I couldn't FORCE jasper in the pram! So leaving the house was a nightmare - darn Houdini!

He did settle. By 2 I was marvelling at how wonderfully behaved he was