+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Exclamation please get your iron level tested

so i got the results back form my glucose test and because they check for other things when they do the blood test it came back that my hemoglobin (sp) level was 106. the minimum level it should be is 110, this test was done 4 weeks ago and since then it has dropped further. i urge you ladies to please get your iron levels checked, it is not good for you or bub to have low iron. i was meant to take iron tablets during the whole of my pregancy because i was borderline anemic before falling pregnant, but since my levels were good the last time i had them checked i stopped taking them (that and i forget to take them) now im anemic again and have to take iron tablets everyday.

please get them checked... i felt fine and didnt think that i needed them, but as it happens i do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    especially the ones who don't eat alot of red meat.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i eat meat at least once a day and i'm a serial anaemic. what's helped me a lot is cutting caffeine out of my diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I second this.

Same thing here recently. They were meant to be monitoring my iron as I have a history of anaemia, but they didn't bother when I had my first GD test, then luckily I had to have a 2nd one and they checked it then, my iron was down to 60!
    It had been falling steadily (was only 90 almost 10 weeks ago as it was), so they should have been more onto it. Even though I was taking an iron supplement, I obviously wasn't taking a big enough dose.

So yes, I concur!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i eat meat at least once a day and i'm a serial anaemic. what's helped me a lot is cutting caffeine out of my diet.
    Yep, caffeine interferes with iron absorption, same as something (that I can't remember the name of) else which is in tea.

Main thing to remember is to have vitamin c with your iron (whichever form you have it in - tablets or food)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've always been anaemic, since the age of 12. I was seriously anaemic after the birth of my son and it took the best part of 3 months to get better. Anaemia can be very, very dangerous if left untreated. I was breathless, dizzy and faint quite a few times so I agree...getting iron levels checked is a very good idea.

Also, make sure you're getting adequate Vitamin C and calcium otherwise your body might not be absorbing the iron you have in supplements or diet.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by danielle13 View Post
    Yep, caffeine interferes with iron absorption, same as something (that I can't remember the name of) else which is in tea.

Main thing to remember is to have vitamin c with your iron (whichever form you have it in - tablets or food)
    tannin i think it's called.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyandbubby View Post
    especially the ones who don't eat alot of red meat.
    The only pregnancy I didn't have low iron levels was the pregnancy where I wasn't eating much red meat.

I'm pretty sure it's a standard test when pregnant however it's a controversial one... Some studies have noted that stillbirth increases significantly (by up to 4 times) when hemoglobin levels are very high (Stephansson, 2000). Other studies have shown that the lowest perinatal mortality rate occurs when the mother's hemoglobin is well below non-pregnant levels, at 9-11 g/dl (Little, 2005). In studies looking at hemoglobin levels their relationship to infant weight at birth, the babies whose mothers had hemoglobin levels of 9.5-10.5 mg/dl had the healthiest weights (taken from my Doula studies so can't give the link to this info but you may be able to read the studies yourself if you google them).

Many caregivers still diagnose iron-deficiency anemia on the basis of hemoglobin levels, evidence shows that measuring a woman's hemoglobin level is not an accurate way of diagnosing anemia. A more accurate test is to measure serum ferritin. Ferritin is the body's major iron-carrying protein, so its presence in blood serum is directly proportionate to the body's iron store level. This can be tested in a simple blood test.
    Last edited by Areca; 16-12-2011 at 13:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    tannin i think it's called.
    That's the one
    Blo0dy pregnancy brain!