+ Reply to Thread
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Considering going vego again.

Sitting her across the table watch DH rip a crab apart makes me feel terrible.

I used to be a vego years ago, but apon entering the airforce I slowly became a meat eatter again. Back then there were no 'healthy vego' options. If you didn't eat the meat you just got the salad and veg (no beans, spinach, meat replacements etc)

I'm long out of the airforce and there's no reason for me continuing to eat meat, apart from having to explain myself to everyone and the hassle of bringing/preparing my own meals for everything.

DH assures me the crab he's devouring was killed humanly (put to sleep on ice, steaked before boiled) but I still can't see the 'why'. I'm sure it taste good, it's probably good for you too, but all I can think of is this crab going to sleep and never waking up.

I know I'm projecting consciousness onto a crab which they probably (?) don't have.

On discussion of this crab and the way it was killed DH points out that our bargain mince thats defrosting on the sink was probably killed in a much more disgusting manner 'but I'm still going to eat that, right?'

Hmm maybe not.

Any longtime meat eaters turn vego out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yes! Became vego this year back in May and haven't looked back! It's been hands down the best decision I've made! Every vego I've met has differing reasons. For me, I didn't want to eat anything I didn't feel comfortable killing myself. So I'll eat a bit of seafood but not a lot of it. I stick to my fruit, vegetables, nuts and grains and eat VERY well! Lost 17kg this year and am a lean mean vego machine!

What is it that got you to make the choice in the first place?

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read a book in high school which mentioned (in great descriptive detail) the killing of a baby lamb. And then not a week later, the lamb I raised in agg was sent to the saluter and my friend took great pride in showing me said lambs bones she kept for her dog.

It was like I finally realized the link between living animals and meat.

I went home that night & mum had made lamb chops for dinner and I couldn't eat them. From then on I didn't touch meat for 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app