+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 8 months & solids?

Does anyone else have an 8 month old that hardly eats any solids?

DS had a stage at 6/7 months when he used to eat quite a lot (depending on what I offered him) but has always preferred his boobie. He won't even drink water from a sippy cup.

I'm not stressing as I know boobie is his main source of nutrition up till 12 months but it still feels wierd having an 8 month old going days with hardly anything but milk in him.

On a good day this is what he eats:

* A few spoons of iron fortified cereal for breaky (sometimes mixed with yoghurt)
    * A piece of fruit or cracker to chew on for morning tea (he doesn't actually "eat" finger foods yet - normal?)
    * A few spoons of mashed mango or banana for lunch
    * A piece of veg or cheese to chew on again for snack
    * And a few spoons of meat and veg mash for dinner

ETA: On a "bad" day he eats nothing.
    Last edited by captainscaptain; 16-12-2011 at 12:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did BLW but our DD had a big drop in how much she'd eat at around 8 months. She started off eating heaps, had a bit of a lull and has now gone back to eating heaps. It does vary lots from day to day, though. Like you, I never cared because she had plenty of BM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah DS pretty much refused his food at around that age. We switched to finger food all the way and things improved. At first he would just eat toast and fruit, now he eats lots. And it's much easier to prepare. I just give him bits of what we eat or I make patties and muffins and freeze them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it really up and down, still is actually!

DS started late and ate pretty well until about 10 months when he seemed to lose all interest, he's just started eating again at 12 months.

Don't stress too much because things may change soon, just keep offering a nice variety of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We did BLW too but just try offer him whatever you eat ( as long as its healthy of course !) also just start offering him a lot more finger foods, just put them on his tray and don't fuss, let him explore them , 8 months is the age when my DS really got into food, as you said just keep his milk up while he is learning - the best finger foods at that age are: cut cucumber sticks ( great for gumming) , steamed broccoli , wholemeal toast fingers with avocado or tahini, watermelon sticks , mini rice cakes, steamed carrot sticks , egg pancakes , roasted sweet potato strips, banana (cut in half lengthways )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks all offering him heaps of diff finger food seems like the easier road to take now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could have written that post word for word! (Although he's on bottles not boobies)

My ds is pretty much refusing to be fed (except yoghurt!!) but has started taking more finger foods. He used to eat heaps!!

So glad it seems to be normal around this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, as others said, don't worry! DS didn't really eat until he was about 12 months, which was pretty convenient because I only had to take my boobs with us now I have to carry all these snacks with us, so much more work And agree with the finger foods as well, we did BLW too and he used to just sit with us at the table and play with the food and then had a little bite here and there. Now he will eat just about anything, especially when he eats by himself with his little fork