+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PPS and living together

i've seen people talking about the PPS and still living with someone/fob but not actually being together.. or something like that.
    can anyone explain to me how this works. so.. can you being on the payment, but be living together, though you are both financially independant? and how long can you do it for? and how do you 'prove' you are genuine and how do you go about letting CL know?
    i know im asking alot, and not very clear, i just dont know much about it.
    thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've done this in the past and never had any issues. I didn't have any restrictions placed on how long we could live together but apparently some people do.

When you apply for PPS you can apply for 'seperated on under one roof'. You basically get a booklet of invasive questions. It will ask you about your sexual, social, financial relationship with your ex. They will want to know the sleeping arrangement... there are heaps of questions.
    You will have to nominate 2 people that centrelink can get in contact with to confirm your story.

If you are going down this route it is generally best to see a social worker at centrelink to explain your situation. They can place notes on your file that can help your application along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know a separated couple that did this but they were given heavy restrictions around when the couple had to be living separately. Centrelink wouldn't even allow them to reside in separate houses on a large property.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It can be done with an ex-partner, but from what I've heard it's a bit of a hassle. I didn't bother with it with my ex - I just didn't bother trying to claim PPS until I had moved out.

You can still live with OTHER people though - I lived with housemates for a while and still claimed PPS. They were not in any way financially responsible for me or my daughter and we weren't in a relationship... I just had to sign a few details in about them, my relationship with them, etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok laides thanks for your replies.
    can anyone shed some light on what happens if you're already on the PPS and you then move in with FOB for financial purposes? i imagine that happens alot, i cant be the only one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by experience88 View Post
    can anyone shed some light on what happens if you're already on the PPS and you then move in with FOB for financial purposes? i imagine that happens alot, i cant be the only one?
    As in, you aren't a couple?
    If you are living together centrelink ell class you as a couple and you will not be eligible for PPS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You can apply for PPS living under hte same roof, but not as a couple, BUT it can be really tough to prove, especially if you're moving BACK IN together... it might be diff after JUST splitting but living together until you can sort yourself out and leave... but moving BACK in probably isn't going to look good.

Best to ask to talk to one of their social workers I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    You can apply for PPS living under hte same roof, but not as a couple, BUT it can be really tough to prove, especially if you're moving BACK IN together... it might be diff after JUST splitting but living together until you can sort yourself out and leave... but moving BACK in probably isn't going to look good.

Best to ask to talk to one of their social workers I think.
    That's what I was thinking.
    I'm doubtful they'd approve it. Very doubtful.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the hubbers just did exactly this, I'm sure she'll be along presently to say something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by experience88 View Post
    I am doing this right now, I moved back in with DS's dad (XH) for financial reasons. We went into Centrelink, got forms which we filled in then went back with the completed forms for our 'interview'.

The questions were very personal, but we didn't really have any hassles getting it approved and didn't even have to give names/numbers of people to verify our relationship status. Not sure why it was so easy for us, but there you go.

We are financially independent, I pay half rent/bills etc, I pay all my car expenses and we have separate bedrooms and our own bathroom each.