+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First IVF appt - what happens???

Hey there,

We have our first IVF appt through QFG coming up mid Jan. I was curious to know what this first appt would look like...we have had all of our tests being assessed by a FS for 8 months already.

I was wondering how long does the appt go for? Is the first one a quick in and out or is it the Big One where they "sign you up", and organise a "start date"??

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Renvind,

I'm with QFG as well and am starting IVF treatment in January.

When DP and I went for our first appt to actually discuss starting IVF, he pretty much went through the basic timeline of treatment, sent us for a few more tests, and then told us to go to the nurses station (we're in Brisbane, so it's on the premises) and make an appt for our counselling session. It's there that we paid the joining fee ($150 admin fee). The nurse counselling session is about an hour long and they go through the process in a lot more depth than the FS did. The nurse answers questions as you go as well and uses diagrams! You also get given the QFG IVF info pack.

Our other appts have been with FS for scans and tests, but none of those has been more than 20 mins. We have another appt on Tuesday to collect meds, so that we're ready for the January start!

Hope everything goes well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    At my first appointment it went something like this
    • Took all of our medical history
    • Arranged tests we had not already had
    • Explained our options based on the info FS already had
    • Time for us to ask questions
    • Made a followup appointment, to review tests
    • Was approx an hour visit
    Good luck! Hope you have success the first go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal1 View Post
    Hi Renvind,

I'm with QFG as well and am starting IVF treatment in January.

When DP and I went for our first appt to actually discuss starting IVF, he pretty much went through the basic timeline of treatment, sent us for a few more tests, and then told us to go to the nurses station (we're in Brisbane, so it's on the premises) and make an appt for our counselling session. It's there that we paid the joining fee ($150 admin fee). The nurse counselling session is about an hour long and they go through the process in a lot more depth than the FS did. The nurse answers questions as you go as well and uses diagrams! You also get given the QFG IVF info pack.

Our other appts have been with FS for scans and tests, but none of those has been more than 20 mins. We have another appt on Tuesday to collect meds, so that we're ready for the January start!

Hope everything goes well for you
    Thanks Cal1! I'm also going through the Brisbane QFG...I have already had some time with my FS and we, so it seems, have already had all our tests, and it will be all steam ahead in Jan. My FS already gave me a pack at my last appt. Did you go straight to nurses station after that appt? Or did you have to schedule an appt for another day? I'm just not sure what to tell my DH about how much time out of work for him. For my work - haha I don't actually care

And how long a wait for the counselling? I guess I am hoping to go to the FS - see everyone I need to see, including FS, nurse and Counsellor, on the one day, have a start date arranged and voila! Cycle 1 here we are...I

Hope you get some great news early in 2012!! Best of luck!!!Who knows, we may even cross paths in there and not even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    At my first appointment it went something like this
    • Took all of our medical history
    • Arranged tests we had not already had
    • Explained our options based on the info FS already had
    • Time for us to ask questions
    • Made a followup appointment, to review tests
    • Was approx an hour visit
    Good luck! Hope you have success the first go!
    Thanks bebehvala - maybe there will be other tests to do first before we head straight in....I am really hoping to dive straight into...I am tired of waiting now!

Did you have to see a nurse or counsellor? and was that about an hour in total??

Congrats on your BFP - I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy.

Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renvind View Post
    Thanks Cal1! I'm also going through the Brisbane QFG...I have already had some time with my FS and we, so it seems, have already had all our tests, and it will be all steam ahead in Jan. My FS already gave me a pack at my last appt. Did you go straight to nurses station after that appt? Or did you have to schedule an appt for another day? I'm just not sure what to tell my DH about how much time out of work for him. For my work - haha I don't actually care

And how long a wait for the counselling? I guess I am hoping to go to the FS - see everyone I need to see, including FS, nurse and Counsellor, on the one day, have a start date arranged and voila! Cycle 1 here we are...I

Hope you get some great news early in 2012!! Best of luck!!!Who knows, we may even cross paths in there and not even know it!

Thanks!!!
    Hi Renvind,

We went over to the nurses station and booked out counselling appt for 3 weeks later when we it suited us, but if we had been rushing, I think they would have been able to give us an earlier appt. I don't think you can just wander over and get a counselling appointment on the same day though, you'd need to call ahead because they take about an hour. We were ok to wait as we're not starting till next year to maximise the Medicare safety net if we need to do repeated cycles.

No doubt you can move much faster than we have - we started with our first appointment in September, so it's been a few months in the making! Mind you, it's given me time to go to acupuncture which is supposed to be good for IVF support, and the acupuncturist has recommended treatment for at least 1 month prior to treatment if you have the time for it!

Best of luck to you honey!