+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having a membrane sweep (stretch and sweep) tomorrow. Am nervous.. any advise?

Hi all. Im having a membrane sweep (stretch and sweep) tomorrow. Im really nervous and a little scared and not sure what to expect, This is my second baby and i didnt have one with my first so not to sure what to expect.. I know it dosen't work for all woman but jsut curious as how many of you it actually working for and how long after did you go into labour ect?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Worked for me I was already in early labour, but it definitely amped things up quite a bit.

It hurt like billy-o, I was really having to concentrate to avoid climbing up the bed away from my OB. Its short though, lots of deep breathing and grit your teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Worked for me too! My doc gave me one at about 4pm (was over very quick!) and I started feeling the beginnings of labor around 9pm. Went into hospital around 6am next morning, had my baby girl at 8pm that night.

Very exciting you get to meet your little one soon! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh so far so good, its worked for 2 out of 2 hehe Im just hoping its over quickly as i can imagine how uncomfortable itll be especially having it done while not in labour (as i know when in labour you dont care about anything lol) How far along were you both? Ill be 39 weeks on saturday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it done at 39+6 when I was already 2cm, and again at 40+8 when I was 4cm (had been having contractions on and off since 39 weeks). Ended up being induced at 40+9.

I think it depends on who does it as to how uncomfortable it is. First time midwife did it and it was slightly uncomfortable, second time OB did it and it hurt alot!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one with DS but never went in to labour it hurt like buggery and honestly I felt really violated after it my mum said the look on my face when I came out behind the curtain was horrified. I would Never get it done again

Typos made by iFone
    May I ask why the feelings of violation? (personally I don't think I'd cope so I've never had one as I suspect that's how I'd feel)
    Last edited by BH-bubhub; 21-02-2012 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one at 39 weeks then at 39+2 unfortunately for me it didn't work, I was only 1/2 dilated. It was uncomfortable but not very painful.
    I'd suggest wearing a pad for a little while afterwards, I did bleed slightly, my mum actually suggested to do so because when she had hers done she lost a lot of blood and she didn't know until a friend pointed it out.

Good luck for tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice is try and relax. Stay focused on your breathe and relax your body. I made sure I was relaxed and it didn't hurt a bit. It was a tiny sting but no pain. Good luck xx

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one with my first and started early labour the following day.

I had 3 with my second and still needed induction. Try to relax, they are quick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to give you some comfort... I had it done and it was uncomfortable but not painful. I wasn't in labour when I had it done. It felt like she was trying to touch my toncils, but not painful. I'm guessing it depends on the circumstances and also the OB.

Good luck, I hope it works for you.