+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ear issues maybe?

DD2 had a cold for about 2 weeks which she has just gotten over. The snot would run down the back of her throat causing her to cough during the night. She was doing really well the last few days, then 2 nights ago she woke up crying (unusual for her) and would not go back in her bed. I suspected a nightmare and put her in bed with me and she fell asleep after tossing and turning for awhile.

Yesterday she was very cranky. I put her on the trampoline because she loves it and she jumped around for a few minutes then sat down kind of holding her head. She then wanted to get off after just a couple of minutes, once again very unusual for her. She went to bed ok last night, but woke again at 2am and refused to go back down. She started saying "Ow, Ow", so I gave her some panadol. 30 minutes later and I still couldn't settle her. Again I put her in my bed and she fell asleep without issue.

Today she is a bit cranky, but so are the rest of us! On one hand I'm tempted to take her to the doctor as I thought maybe she has sore ears. On the other hand I'm thinking it's possible she did have a nightmare the first night and quite liked sleeping in mummy and daddy's bed. She has no increase in her temp, her ears aren't red, she's not pulling them and she's eating ok. I don't want to take her to the dr if I don't have to as it's a long waiting time at the moment and we are already flat out today.

Should I just wait and see what happens today/tonight? Should I take her to get checked now? What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely take her to the GP, as it sounds as though the post nasal drip etc may have caused her an ear infection. When they're little, because the Eustacian tube's so narrow, they can't drain the excess mucous as well and therefore it can block and cause glue ear etc. Sometimes if it is majorly blocked the ear drum perforates.

When you mentioned your DD holding her head on the trampoline, it does sound like ear or sinus issues as a result of her previous cold.

She is most likely in some pain, so I would definitely get her seen to today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your reply, Uniquey. She doesn't seem overly bothered today, just a bit more cranky and demanding. I'm going to take your advice, though, and get her checked out...just to be safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, much better to be safe than sorry. I have had perforated ear drums and been none the wiser at times, I am sure when it was acute (before the actual bursting) I was in pain, but once perforated my ear(sh) have settled down. So even though your DD may not be in 'acute' pain anymore, it doesn't discount an ear infection or the like. All the best with it!