+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ash, my first csection I didnt even know I had a catheter until they came to remove it, you cant feel it and they put it in when you are numb.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash93 View Post
    Ok.. Well if I wasnt petrified enough the tube up the wee hole which I didnt kbow about definetly isnt helping!!

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub
    I LOVED my catheter! I guess they put it in when they did my c section as I didnt feel a thing, I didnt even know I had it in until someone came to change my 'wee bag'. I was like 'Oh, that's why I haven't been feeling the need to go for a wee!!'

I was gutted when they took it out! Didnt hurt a bit. I resented having to get up to go the loo when I needed a wee afterwards.

I was never really scared to go in for my c section because I had never read up on exactly what happens, I was pretty much go with the flow.

So when they said 'okay bend over so we can just put the spinal in, you are going to feel some pushing' I was like meh okay....
    Didnt really feel anything.Just felt like someone was pushing their thumb into my back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had 3rd bub Elective CS for the same reasons.

I really didnt want the CS, as I was scared, but the actual procedure was fine I was scared of the spinal, all the other stuff was ok, Im with Gothchick the catheter cant even be felt, and it was good not to have to get up lol. The hospital stay allowed me to bond better than i did with my VBs as the focus was on baby, and the pain is not bad because of all the painkillers.

I know many women who delivered healthy bubs posterior with no problems, but like with me its other health issues and history that combine to influence the choice. I decided on CS based on the risk of having another posterior VB could put baby risk and further damage my pelvic floor function. I still have days i regret my decision and should have tried to labour but the other part of me knows I made the right decision for me because baby had a head larger than the other 2 and was heavier at only 39 weeks.

Its the risks for future pregnancies that bothers me, i suggest you read the risks for future pregnancies as the doc only focused on immediate CS risks with me and it depends how many children you would like. For my next birthI will hope for another anterior baby with a smaller head and attempt VBAC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i vb delivered 3 posterior babies all with complications and ongoing issues for me.#4 was a cs and utter was great. i was scared but really it was so easy. recovery was much quicker and easier than my vb.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also.. about not holding bub, you need to let the hospital know your wishes. DH went with bub and I consented to him having formula, I came to my room where bub was waiting very contently we had cuddles and breast fed straight away. The first night a midwife kept bub with her so I could rest, which was great! The next night was really hard getting up and down. For me its not an issue holding bub straight away, its only a few hours they know who mummy is very quickly as I mentioned I bonded closer with CS bub than my Vbs who were put straight on to my chest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpysmurf View Post
    i recovery was much quicker and easier than my vb.

Same here! Recovery after a 3rd degree tear was much worse......still recovering

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am shocked that your OB would suggest you just book in because you "might" have another posterior labour! No wonder CS rates have sky rocketed! Fair enough if it is REALLY needed, but to suggest you have major surgery "just in case" is horrifying to me.

I am terrified of CSs (and doctors, hospitals and needles) and I will be actively doing everything I can to avoid a CS. Everyone I know who has gone with a private ob gyn has ended up with an 'emergency' CS - and I am very sceptical as I am quite sure that they get to charge more to medicare for performing a CS. This seems like a big conflict of interest to me.

I have booked into a birth centre to have care with only midwives during my pregnancy. I do not want any drugs or pain relief due to the increased chances of a CS due to the "cascade of interventions" (google it). I am going to do everything I can to further a VB - exercise, eating healthy, not gaining too much weight, focussing on positive birth stories instead of horror stories. ATM I feel happy, confident and excited at the prospect of giving birth.
    Of course if at the time I really NEED a CS then I will have one knowing that I did everything in my power to avoid it.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of people who will shout me down on this and insist that CS are fine. However I remain scared and I don't want to become a statistic who was one of the rare people who: could feel everything; remained numb in places for months/years/forever afterwards; got injected with cleaning fluid instead of drugs; had problems BFing due to induced labour; had large amounts of blood loss and became anaemic.

You should do what you think is right, but please do your own research and make an informed decision. Don't get pressured into it because your OB is an "expert" - they are also going to consider their own interests. You wouldn't buy a house without a lot of thought and research and just trust a real estate agent blindly. Remember that an OB and a real estate agent both get paid thousands, and the less work they need to do to get that $$ the happier they are likely to be. Think about it!! You can't tell me that OBs don't secretly like scheduling CSs - that one more woman they know is going to deliver in tidy 9-5 hours.

Just before I step off my soapbox - I DO NOT look down on those who have CSs, I just wonder if it was done in their best interests. Everyone deserves the best, including you and your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyMaree View Post
    So this might sound bizarre... But I am absolutely petrified at the prospect of having a c-section with my 3rd (who is not in my belly just yet, TTC ATM)...

My history: I delivered both my boys naturally, but as they were both posterior, my OB/GYN tells me that there is a 95% chance the 3rd will also be posterior...

The first delivery was rather normal (or so I thought not having any previous experiences to draw on), but the 2nd was pretty intensive... My cervix was swollen and he was basically "stuck"... The OB/GYN said if they didn't use the drip to "bump" up my contractions, I was at risk of having an emergency c-section.... So along comes the dreaded drip... OMG... That was pretty horrible, but in the end, I delivered him naturally...

She tells me that with the 3rd, she strongly reccommends I just "book in" for a c-section to save any hassle or complications. This scares me to death!

I have spoken to other Mums I know and they all think I'm weird for being petrified of a c-section... They have all had a c-section, and they honestly think it's the way to go... The things that scare me the most about c-sections are:
    • being numb and not feeling anything;
    • not being able to go home straight away (I loathe hospitals);
    • having that tube stuck up your wee hole (ouch! just the thought of this makes my eyes water...); and
    • not being able to hold my baby for a while...
    I'm not worried about the big fat needle in my back , I'm not worried about the scar or stitches... It's just the stuff I mentioned above...

I'm just really confused now... I mean, I want to do what's best for my baby, but... knowing I was "booked in" to have a c-section would stress me out big time, and I'm not sure that sort of stress would be good for the baby...

So I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and what you did to sort it out in you mind? Or any general advice really would be tops! Crazy to be totally stressed about this decison and I'm not even up the duff yet! But I really can't help not thinking about it...
    xx
    i didn't find numb that bad. u can feel movement but not pain cold etc. i could roll myself over when i first got to recovery.
    i have left at the very soonest i was allowed after each baby. 14, 2, 6, 7 days. all due to babies issues except first one which was both of our issues.
    wow tube does not hurt at all it just sounds bad. nowhere near as bad as even one posterior contraction think like needle.ooh stingy over. that's it.
    i was able to hold him for five mins before he was taken to special care. this is the same as with my 3rd bub born vb. ny 2nd bub i got and kept straight away.
    my first bub i didn't get to hold at all for a while.

Last edited by grumpysmurf; 05-04-2012 at 11:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency Caesarian after being in labour for 18 hours & had only dilated 3cm. I already had the epidural, & my little girl was starting to stress so they rushed me in. The actual procedure was fine, the midwives took lots of photos, my partner was able to cut the cord & I had her with me in recovery straight away. Now the down side was that I suffered post-clampsia, lost a bit of blood, went into shock & got a golden staff infection. It was the most horrible thing to have experienced, I was in so much pain & drugged up so much I struggled to be able to even feed my little girl. certainly not what I was expecting for as my first time having a baby.
    I'm now 8 weeks pregnant with my 2nd & have been told that there is no reason why I cannot try to have a natural birth. I will be closely monitored & will have to make a decision at 30weeks if I want to book in for another c-section. I a absolutely petrified of the thought of the same recovery with a 3 year old at home to also look after. I am opting for a natural birth & am hoping with all my might that my body cooperates this time