+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is anyone else out there petrified of having a c-section...??!!

So this might sound bizarre... But I am absolutely petrified at the prospect of having a c-section with my 3rd (who is not in my belly just yet, TTC ATM)...

My history: I delivered both my boys naturally, but as they were both posterior, my OB/GYN tells me that there is a 95% chance the 3rd will also be posterior...

The first delivery was rather normal (or so I thought not having any previous experiences to draw on), but the 2nd was pretty intensive... My cervix was swollen and he was basically "stuck"... The OB/GYN said if they didn't use the drip to "bump" up my contractions, I was at risk of having an emergency c-section.... So along comes the dreaded drip... OMG... That was pretty horrible, but in the end, I delivered him naturally...

She tells me that with the 3rd, she strongly reccommends I just "book in" for a c-section to save any hassle or complications. This scares me to death!

I have spoken to other Mums I know and they all think I'm weird for being petrified of a c-section... They have all had a c-section, and they honestly think it's the way to go... The things that scare me the most about c-sections are:
    • being numb and not feeling anything;
    • not being able to go home straight away (I loathe hospitals);
    • having that tube stuck up your wee hole (ouch! just the thought of this makes my eyes water...); and
    • not being able to hold my baby for a while...
    I'm not worried about the big fat needle in my back , I'm not worried about the scar or stitches... It's just the stuff I mentioned above...

I'm just really confused now... I mean, I want to do what's best for my baby, but... knowing I was "booked in" to have a c-section would stress me out big time, and I'm not sure that sort of stress would be good for the baby...

So I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and what you did to sort it out in you mind? Or any general advice really would be tops! Crazy to be totally stressed about this decison and I'm not even up the duff yet! But I really can't help not thinking about it...
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure about the should you or shouldn't you side of things, I lack knowledge with regards to your experiences, but... to try alleviate some of your concerns...

My catheter was put in after my spinal, so I only felt it come out, which wasn't awful.
    I enjoyed having the few days to bond with baby away from DS.
    I was given my babies as soon as they had their cords cut and were wrapped. I had the option of instant skin to skin.
    You are unable to feel pain, but can feel movement, so you don't feel totally dead from the boobs down.
    Having it booked in makes a much more pleasant experience than an emergency c-section.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am petrified of them too and have never had one.

In your position, I would wait and see what happens. I wouldn't book a c/section. I just couldn't. Every birth is different and I would at least want to give it a try to see if it could be a v/b. That's me though, you have to do what is best for you. I would recommend you get a second opinion from a midwife or two.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I very much hoped I wouldn't need one and I didn't in the end. I had a posterior baby too (first and only...so far)!

I'd do it again in a heart beat though. So personally, I wouldn't book in for a c-section.

If it needs to happen in the end then that's fine. And if it makes you feel better, I had a tube up my wee hole after my natural birth and I couldn't even feel it go in so don't worry about that. No drugs either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was petrified of having a c-section. Really scared, I have had 2 now and will go infor my 3rd in June.
    After 38 hours of labour with the drip and only getting to just 3 cm in I went for one. I was most scared of the spinal and they had trouble putting it in so it was the worse part for me but that is bc I have a wacky back. They insert the catheter after you are numb so you don't feel a thing. They bought baby right to me after he was born all wrapped up for DS1 and he didn't leave my hands until I was in my room and handing him over to my mum or my husband. DS2 he was placed right on my chest all bloody for a cuddle then they took him so DH could cut the cord and was bought back to me and didn't leave me until 3 hours later when they weighed and measured him in my room. I was out of bed quickly and wasn't in to much pain, almost back to normal within the week and felt fine to drive within 3 weeks (to be super sure). Really they are not as bad as so many people make out and I recovered from my planned one more than the emergency of course but 38 hours of labour before that would do that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mordygordy For This Useful Post:

Aquarian  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a spinal after my natural birth because I needed to go to theatre to have my stitches done, they put the catheter in when I was numb and I didn't feel a thing. I was terrified of having it taken out, but it just slipped out and I barely felt a thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My next pregnancy I HAVE to have one and I'm so scared!! It is a very small part of the reason why I don't really want another.

In your situation I'd try natural again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a csection and found it to be a calm peaceful relaxed enjoyable experience. I am on the other hand more petrified of natural delivery. I think you will be pleasantly surprised it is actually a very easy recovery and all of the women In my mothers group had a worse time healing down below then I had healing from my csection.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest you Google 'caesarean section' risks too. It's great that you are trying to inform yourself.

Also, there are some things you can try. Check out this link:

http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnan...itionforbirth/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would avoid a c-section at all costs!