+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination?

This may be in the wrong spot as I am not employed...yet...

I sent off my resume and cover letter for an admin possition yesterday, tonight (at 7pm) the guy rang and asked me to fill out a seperate application form that he was emailing to me... ok, no worries...

The form has a few questions that are a bit off but im not sure if they are illegal or just not 'the done thing'
    It asks my marital status, if I have children to care for, if I am in part of a Union, if I drink and if I smoke.
    The drinking and smoking I kind of get but the other things I always thought were points of discrimination.

Any clever HR hubbers know?

Editted to add: In the body of the email he did say that the form was optional (covering his a$$?) but I highly doubt I would get an interview if I refused to fill out the form
    Last edited by notquitesupermum; 14-12-2011 at 20:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think they can ask about your family situtation.

Maybe check the Fair Work Australia website.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

notquitesupermum  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought they couldn't ask you if you are married or had children.

I also don't get the dinking and smoking? If you have a drink on a Friday are you a drinker? If you have a few on new years eve is that being a drinker?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly I'd say there was a glitch and it isn't loading but you'd be happy to answer appropriate work related questions in an interview.

It sounds off to me and I'm not too sure it's legal but I'd check as pp said

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (21-12-2011),notquitesupermum  (14-12-2011),sugar n spice  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely don't fill it out. Often employers give you the option of saying what your nationality is or whether you have a disability but asking about marriage and children is totally off.

Prospective employees do have "general protections" against adverse action on the basis of a protected ground, and family responsibilities is one of them.

If you dont get an interview and genuinely believe it's because you didn't answer the questions it might be worth speaking to Fair Work. Unfortunately it's not illegal for them just to ask - they have to treat you adversely as a result I.e not give you the job.

Look up general protections on the FWA website for more info.

If it was me I would NOT be applying to work there as they sound dodgy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I also don't get the dinking and smoking? If you have a drink on a Friday are you a drinker? If you have a few on new years eve is that being a drinker?
    Yeh, I thought that as long as I didnt drink or smoke at work it really wasnt any of their business

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    D
    If it was me I would NOT be applying to work there as they sound dodgy.
    I dont think I will, there is more in the form that just doesnt sit right with me and the dress code stated that women are not permitted to wear slacks... I dont mind wearing dresses and skirts but I like to wear pants too sometimes and I think it would really annoy me to not have the option. Plus, who can be bothered shaving their legs every single day?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notquitesupermum View Post
    I dont think I will, there is more in the form that just doesnt sit right with me and the dress code stated that women are not permitted to wear slacks... I dont mind wearing dresses and skirts but I like to wear pants too sometimes and I think it would really annoy me to not have the option. Plus, who can be bothered shaving their legs every single day?!
    is it a law firm or accounting firm? i know some of them have very strict dress codes for female admin staff altho IMO it's being totally sexist! good on you for not applying - it is really none of their beeswax if you drink/smoke and they sound like they're the kind of people who stereotype if they are asking if you're in a union. hope you find something else soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the support and info

I ended up emailing him back and explaining that the form he sent could not be edited (PDF) but I would be happy to answer any appropriate questions in an interview. I didnt expect to hear any further from him.
    He rang back straight away and arranged an interview.

I went in and it seemed much more 'kosher' face to face. he didnt ask anything I wasnt comfortable with and I avoided mentioning anything I didnt feel was relevant. I did notice all the women in the office were wearing long skirts though. He gave me an employee hand book which I am yet to read, so I guess I'll have a look and wait to see what his next move is.

It is pretty good pay and the possition sounds interesting, so if nothing better comes up I *might* take it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    is it a law firm or accounting firm? i know some of them have very strict dress codes for female admin staff altho IMO it's being totally sexist!
    And no its FAR from a legal firm or accounting firm... I have a feeling, judging (judgy judge judge, my bad) by the dress and general appearance of most of the staff when I went for the interview, there may be a religious influence to the dress code.