+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What options are there?

I'm BFing and just got AF back about two months ago. Since AF returned I thought I'd better sort out some contraception so went on the mini pill. I don't think it's agreeing with me. I've had AF for pretty much three weeks straight. I've also had three migraines since starting the mini pill and never had them before so I'm wondering if it's related.

What other options are there though? Mirena? I don't think that would agree with me at all. Condoms suck. We were supposed to be using natural fertility tracking (taking temperature and checking mucous) when I got pregnant with DS but I'm too lazy to do that properly and I don't think it would even work these days as I'm up at random times with DS which would throw my temperature out.

There's not much else is there? I guess my three options are:

1) keep taking mini pill and have AF forever - no thanks. Or maybe it will settle down eventually?

2) wean DS and go on proper pill or something else like nuvaring. I am thinking of weaning in about 6 months, but not really keen to stop sooner.

3) stop taking mini pill and just try combination of withdrawal method, tracking my cycle and avoiding fertile days, etc? I can see I will end up pregnant this way - which wouldn't be so terrible anyway.

What would you do? Do you see any other option other than what I've listed?

(Sorry if this is garbled and doesn't make sense. I'm on my phone and too tired to edit it properly)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The contraception options are progesterone only sorry atleast as far as I know. I reacted better to the depo over the pill and it may well settle but I'd suggest implant as if you don't react well it can be removed (unlike depo)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    The contraception options are progesterone only sorry atleast as far as I know. I reacted better to the depo over the pill and it may well settle but I'd suggest implant as if you don't react well it can be removed (unlike depo)
    Tried implanon before - I get the same thing - AF constantly. And if I'm BFing the only options are minipill or Mirena. I can't have depo or implanon or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Copper iud?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    Copper iud?
    Ooh there's a thought! Has anyone had one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was a thread where someone mentioned they did maybe start a thread with that as the title?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Tried implanon before - I get the same thing - AF constantly. And if I'm BFing the only options are minipill or Mirena. I can't have depo or implanon or anything.
    Yes you can. Implanon is safe while bfing. I had it. Not that that helps if you get constant bleeding, but thought I'd clarify.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just went searching through this section for a thread about copper iuds and came across someone mentioning a diaphragm. That could work. I might make an appointment with family planning and talk to them about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was about to suggest a diaphragm. I've never wanted to try it though as I like DTD to be spontaneous. I've heard things about spermicidal lubricant but I don't know the sucess rate or where you get it from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a copper iud for years. Great for me, no hormones so natural cycle but no pg.
    I had no problems.
    I'll answer any questions if you have any.