+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Book recommendations - what are your toddlers' favourite books?

Hello, I want to splurge on some new books at book depository but find it hard to pick online. Can you help me out with some of your favourites?

I have a (nearly) 12 mths baby, a 2 year old and a 3 year old.

I also have a (nearly) 13 year old to buy for so recommendations for her also welcome - pls dont recommend the ones you loved as a 12 year old though, we're in the twilight era ppl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my younger 3 love dear zoo or spot books
    sorry no help for the 13yr old

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mad house mumma For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 11mo and his favourite book is "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" - the MCHN gave it to us as a free thing to ensure every baby has at least one book. You probably remember it from childhood. Anyway I can recite it by heart now.

Other good ones:
    Where Is The Green Sheep?
    The Wonky Donkey (there's a catchy song that goes with this, you can download from iTunes)
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Anything Dr Seuss
    The "that's not my..." series are great for little ones as they have textured bits baby can touch. Your 1yo would love them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

I'm afraid Seuss has been a bit of a fail here lol. I'll try all the others, thanks mad house and majestic

I'm going to try the amazon recommendations things for my eldest I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post

Other good ones:
    Where Is The Green Sheep?
    The Wonky Donkey (there's a catchy song that goes with this, you can download from iTunes)
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Anything Dr Seuss
    DS 2 years old loves these too.

Maisy books by Lucy Cousins are great too. DS loves them and in fact his whole day care class loves them all (they have the set in his room and 9/10 when the kids choose a book for story time it's a Maisy book).

Other favorites in this house are:
    Hairy Maclary, Lynley Dodd
    All the Schnitzel Von Krumm books, Lynley Dodd (he's one of Hairy Maclary's mates)
    Where is Spot? Eric Hill
    Mr McGee books (Pamela Allen)

Thanks
    Reviews
    splurge complete book depository actuallly suggested all those you've all mentioned as soon as i searched for where is the green sheep so was easy

i hope green sheep is better than the title suggests btw i've heard ppl mention is so often but have never read it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depending on her interests your 13YO may like the Rangers Aprentice books - John Flanagan (Aust author) - kind of knights & princesses - though the princess is certainly no airhead typical princess - and of course the Rangers - like spies and archers rolled into one! (SAS of the camelot era) - I am addicted to tem - just read the 11th one - got DH hooked too - he has a new series out called Brother band that is a slight spin off - based in one of the countries of the RA books with seafaring types brilliant too - read it in a matter of days - I had to pace myself

I second the Thats not my series for the little ones - DD is 5 (in 5 sleeps) and she now "reads" them to me! and DS is 2.5 and likes them too!
    Where is green sheep - most of Mem Fox really
    Wombat Stew
    Aliens love underpants - there are 2more in this series (Aliens in underpants save the world and Aliens love Panta Claus - xmas one) plus Dinosaurs love under pants too - they are a cute story and the kids love the undies! - every thing from huge y-fronts to little frilly things and spotty ones ad long bloomers!
    My two also love the Charlie and Lola ones too- the original ones are a bit llonger - fine for the 3 YO but might be a bit of a stretch for the LO but the ones based on the TV series are a bit shorter!
    Try the post office for some book packs too - they have Mem Fox, Pamela Allen and others in 4 packs for about $15 ish!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son loved/loves :-

Where is the green sheep
    Hooray for fish
    Any of the little Cockys Circle books
    Edwina the Emu, Edward the Emu, Olga the Brolga (amazing illustration)
    Any of the Maisey books
    Time for Bed
    Ten little fingers and ten little toes (totally georgeous)

I could go on and on my Son loves books and we have lots and lots (many trips to vinnies).

Good luck and happy book hunting, I love it XX

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dimity duck is 22mo DD's all time favourite book, hands down, no questions asked!! Has been for the last year. She doesn't mind the where is my? Series but liked them better probably when she smaller, and was just getting tactile.
    Think ill have to get green sheep for her birthday, I've been meaning to for ages as I like it, but haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'm going to have to take my own preferences in here too lol, they are kinda ready (or I am?) for more story type ones with more words etc. Gruffalo and Stroogle remain favourites.. I know those ones off by heart lol