+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    There's nothing wrong with tinned tomatoes, even chefs admit that they're ok because they're made when tomatoes are in season and you can get them with nothing extra added, it's just tomatoes.
    Tinned tomatoes are one of the worst foods you can eat. There's BPA in the lining of almost all tins but the acidity of tomatoes makes into leach into the tomatoes so much more!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemakesthree For This Useful Post:

FrogsnSnails  (15-12-2011),Gandalf  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hemakesthree View Post
    Tinned tomatoes are one of the worst foods you can eat. There's BPA in the lining of almost all tins but the acidity of tomatoes makes into leach into the tomatoes so much more!
    Really? Crap, my efforts to cook from scratch often involve tinned tomatoes. It feels like everything is black listed nowadays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hemakesthree View Post
    Spiral organic diced tinned tomatoes are BPA free or I buy Mutti that come in a glass jar

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (15-12-2011),FrogsnSnails  (15-12-2011)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    RE: tomatoes - there are alternatives - just buy organic, salt reduced etc etc. If you buying in a tin - make sure its BPA free or otherwise buy in a jar. I know there is a little plastic on the inside of the jar lid which may/may not be BPA free - but it is still better then BPA tins.

As mentioned we do make our own tomota puree each year, but it is a bit of effort and I think in the beginning it's not necessary. We mostly do it cos it is cheap and we are in a routine now. It works out to about 30-40cent per long kneck bottle - I think when we were buying the organic it was more like $3-4 bucks!

If we ever somewhere that we don't have our own stuff (it tends to be shared amongst our friends so normally someone has a bottle somewhere) but if we don't I tend to use fresh tomotoes - I don't bother to peel them or anything just chuck them in. It's not quite as nice, but it does the job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we cook mostly from scratch now, once i got in the rythem and fine tuned some recipes it became as easy as using packet food. I thought it would take so much longer but am really surprised it doesnt seem to take longer at all.

As for stocking your pantry- we buy all our pasta, rice etc from big W. every now and then they sell bulk bags so we buy up big and keep them in a big storage tub under our kitchen bench. That way we always have some staples and it has worked out much much cheaper. One time I got pasta on special from big W $3 for a 2.5 kilo bag wooo